Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2011 6:44:43 PM EDT
So, just in case anybody was wondering, a 16" M4gery WILL fit in a violin case. Came across this recently and a little dim bulb came on over my head. Now I have a discreet carry option for vacations and such. It holds the rifle, four mags, and has room for a small optic, and maybe a light. HA

Second pic was before I trimmed the middle support for better fit. Just need a little foam now.

Edit-  Better?
tried searching before post but my non team member search is AFU. Need to remedy that.... soon.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Picture fail.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Picture fail.

Agreed....pics or you're lying
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#3]
If you walk out in shorts, tshirt and hat... carrying a violin case... it might be less than discreet...
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Try Photobucket, OP.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Carrying on a great tradition!
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd like to see a pic also.

a 4/4 violin is 23.5" total length.

My 16" AR runs 33.5" long with the stock collapsed and a long flash hider.
Unless your violin case has a "stuff" compartment that's 10" long, I don't see it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'd like to see a pic also.

a 4/4 violin is 23.5" total length.

My 16" AR runs 33.5" long with the stock collapsed and a long flash hider.

Unless your violin case has a "stuff" compartment that's 10" long, I don't see it.

My guess is broken down...

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you think I'll stand out on the beach tanning in my speedo on a lounger with a violin case between me and the missus?

Yeah, broken down. HOPEFULLY I won't need to deploy it in transit on the spot.....
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone use a tennis racket case ? I haven't tried it but i'm thinking that the double cases may be just the ticket.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:32:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Sweet! I actually have a 4/4 violin. Had it for a little over 10 years, played violin for almost 9 years. It's just been sitting for a long time, havn't been motivated to pick it up....I need some good ol' bluegrass sheet music.
Anyway, my violin case is pretty strong...I may go try this out for myself

ETA: Couldn't help myself

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Ya' know.... I've always wanted to do that with a guitar case.  An assembled M-4gery should fit with no problems... complete with mounted aimpoint.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#12]
just put a guitar sticker or patch on you gun bag..  

why complicate it

you know, i see camo guitar case with molle on the outside all the time at downtown austin :)
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:21:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ya' know.... I've always wanted to do that with a guitar case.  An assembled M-4gery should fit with no problems... complete with mounted aimpoint.  

Not a problem.  A 20 inch A2 will fit in a the small case in the first picture below.  In fact, the 20-inch fits better than a carbine.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:38:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Awesome
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:01:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I still think that a thief would want to make off with a guitar (case) to sell it.

The perfect conceal case would be a yellow plastic hard case that had a bio hazard sticker and bold print of "WARNING Human Feces Handle With Care.  Wash Skin Thoroughly With Soap When Done."  Smear some brown paint in a few spots to give that "used" look.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:25:53 AM EDT
[#16]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That's great.

I think wood stain look better than brown paint though. Gives it that "it was here but we tried to wipe it off" look.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:56:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Considering how often I've heard from others about guitars and the like being stolen, it may be discreet but doesn't lessen the chance of theft, maybe even makes it worse.  Definitely a situational decision.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I built those cases just because I thought it would be a fun project.  They get lots of positive comments at the range, and I admit I like opening one up and removing an AR from it.  But the guitar case thing has nothing to do with trying to thwart thieves.

Buying the first case was sort of funny.  I went into this music shop and the clerk was helping another customer, so I started looking at the cases on my own.  I know nothing about guitars, by the way.  The other customer left and the clerk asked if he could help.  I said I needed a guitar case, and he asked what kind of guitar I had.  None, I said; this is for a little project I'm working on.  Since I assumed any music shop guy would be a hippie, I was trying to avoid the subject.  But he persisted, so I said I was building a rifle case.

Silence.

Did I bring the rifle with me, he finally asked?  No, said I; I didn't think he'd react kindly to that.  He said that if I had just carried a rifle through the door, we would have had a gunfight, but if it was in the car, he was fine with me bringing it in as long as he knew what was up.  He turned out to be pretty cool and helpful in choosing the right case.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I always liked the look of a good briefcase myself.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice!
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Anyone use a tennis racket case ? I haven't tried it but i'm thinking that the double cases may be just the ticket.

I do! I have a nicely padded tennis racket case i want to say is designed for 4 rackets. Holds the AR without breakdown, with plenty of room left over for the handguns, ammo, mags, cleaning supplies etc..
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do! I have a nicely padded tennis racket case i want to say is designed for 4 rackets. Holds the AR without breakdown, with plenty of room left over for the handguns, ammo, mags, cleaning supplies etc..

Yeah, there was actually a tennis racket case thread on here a couple of months ago
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I still think that a thief would want to make off with a guitar (case) to sell it.

The perfect conceal case would be a yellow plastic hard case that had a bio hazard sticker and bold print of "WARNING Human Feces Handle With Care.  Wash Skin Thoroughly With Soap When Done."  Smear some brown paint in a few spots to give that "used" look.

Thats to funny... Iv seen red rubbermaid trash cans for that. Add a fake bottom, fill with whatever, and top off with some crustys on the fake bottom........

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I use a my electric guitar rectangular hard case and a custom coffin shaped guitar case..they work great and with my playing everyone that lives around me hears the guitar going so no attention drawn when I leave the house with the guitar case with brand log as well one Gibson one Jackson.I like instrumet cases for the rifles carries on the tradition shown with the thompson.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Damn, I was thinking of getting a violin case for my Thompson. Now I need two.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Golf bag

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#27]
its all about the Tennis racket case

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#28]
LOL, this thread has sooooo many possibilities now
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I use a bookbag, lower in the laptop compartment, barrel sticking out the top with poster board or a shirt over it when traveling, and pack the sides of the upper with mag pouches and such as well as clothes.  keeps everything in place.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top