Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2010 1:56:41 PM EDT
Seems like I use way too much ammo to sight in my AR 24 inch Varmint model
Can anyone recomend a bore sighter that won't break the bank ?
Thanks
John
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Seems like I use way too much ammo to sight in my AR 24 inch Varmint model
Can anyone recomend a bore sighter that won't break the bank ?
Thanks
John

This should work

Cabela's Sight-Rite Laser Boresighting System
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#2]
http://sightmark.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

These are great for boresight and for checking zero after a slip or trip bangs your stick around a bit. Great for a field zero if you quickly want to change zero settings.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#3]
You don't need any tools to bore sight an AR.

1. Remove your upper and pull the BCG.
2. Support the upper on sandbags or a cleaning stand.
3. From the chamber end, sight in on something through the barrel.  I use a stoplight down the street from my house.
4. Dial your scope in on the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

3. From the chamber end, sight in on something through the barrel.  I use a stoplight down the street from my house.

This man speaks much sense works for irons or optics
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 its what I always do
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit, logic overload I'm freaking out
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#7]
This. borescopes are the fail. you should be on paper in 1-2 shots. Find a .80 cent bore scope and I'll buy it.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit, logic overload I'm freaking out

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope.  Put rifle in rest(or jimmyrig one), shoot once at target.  Aim at center, and adjust scope to the hole.  That will get you just at close or closer than a bore sighter for the cost of 1 round.

for irons, just do the math, if you shoot 1" low and 1 inch to the leftat 50yds, and both are 1/4 moa adjustable sights, thats 8 clicks to right and 8 clicks down.

Ive never used a boresighter at they dont get dead on and I just cant justify the price.  Just my $.02, sorry if its not what you wanted to hear, but IMO they are a waste of money.

Edit, SD_norsky's will get you close too, but if you wanna shoot 1 shot(aim well) the method i described will get you VERY close to dead on.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Never had problems

zero at close range first , then go out

Thats how I do all my Bolt actions and the 10x on my 20inch AR

Funny

When I bought a Iffy Tech 551F

It was so close to a 50Y zero
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#10]
What has been mentioned in this thread is absolutely correct. You don't need a bore sighter to zero an AR. That said, I've liked having a laser bore sighter. Non bolt guns usually require some type of sighting tool or punching holes. If you've got a wide variety of firearms you'll appreciate a bore sighter and save a few dollars in ammo. I've had pretty good luck with one of these:
http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0012854712519a.shtml?cmCat=perf&rid=0987654321&cm_mmc=Performics-_-CSE-_-GoogleBaseUSA-_-0012854712519a&mr:trackingCode=ADE21BCD-958E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA
These will work on calibers from .22 - .50 and include the arbors to do this. These aren't extremely bright and work best in lower light situations. They make a green laser version of this unit that is brighter but it is quite a bit more expensive. I've also been able to use these in bright light by aiming into a garage or dark area. This will get you on paper and just a few clicks from where you want to be. A variety of manufactures sell this or a slightly different unit. If you look around you can find them from $40 up.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I got one of the sightmark .223's off of flebay for $25.00 shipped.

I will usually just throw a dot on a tree and the end of my driveway (76 feet) and make the two match. It never takes more than a few clicks adjustment after that for "real zero."

It was worth the money to me because I would really rather use my range time for productive stuff.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Years ago my gunsmith (before he retired) used an arbar or metal post with a grid on it so you could get on the paper at 100 yards
Then once you know the co-ordinates your can record them for a repeatable zero and keep them adjusted for very long range shooting.
But it looks like most guys are going to the laser bore sighter .
John
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Years ago my gunsmith (before he retired) used an arbar or metal post with a grid on it so you could get on the paper at 100 yards

Then once you know the co-ordinates your can record them for a repeatable zero and keep them adjusted for very long range shooting.

But it looks like most guys are going to the laser bore sighter .

John

I have one of these type bore sighters also. They leave a bit to be desired on high rise rings/mounts.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yep.  I zeroed a new Nikon M223 this way last weekend.  First shot was on target at 50 yards, two inches low and one inch left.  No need for a laser boresighter IMO
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I just use cheaper ammo, like m193, to get on paper at 25 to 50. I then shoot a few more cheap rounds at 100, then clean the rifle and switch to the good stuff to dial it in.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I think bore sighters are a waste of money. Bullets do not travel in straight lines. Start at 25 yards and dial to the hole.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got one of the laser bore sights, can't remember the brand but the same type as Cabela's listed above with all the adaptors for $20. I'm always moving scopes & optics around and it's saved it's cost in ammo. I can put it in the barrel of any of my handguns and rotate it 360 degrees, at 25 ft the red dot doesn't move so it's collimated correctly, that is it's straight. I can do this in my shop so when I'm at the range I'm already in the ballpark. But there's some great methods in this thread for sighting with an AR, stuff I'd never thought of, stuff you can't do with other firearms. AR must stand for Awesome Rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top