User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 8:28:17 PM EDT
i am in the market for a new ar

i am looking for a 16''a-3 carbine

was settled on a bushmaster but was told that spikes was the way to go

should i be looking at other manufactures???

i eventually will put a adams arms piston conversion on it

hopeing to keep it under $1100

ant input will be apreciated
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm partial to Bravo Company USA, but the Spikes rifles seem to be very good quality as well.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#2]
If you like Bushmaster buy it! Forget about what anyone else says. It's your money, buy what you feel you like. I don't have a BCM or a Spikes Tactical upper. I prefer old Colt M16A1 and A2 uppers (have a few). I have a FN M16A2 upper mounted on a Spikes lower. I have Colt and FN BCGs, not one BCM or Spikes BCG.

Don't get me wrong, Spikes Tactical and BCM are good guns, but then so is Bushmaster, RRA, Stag and Doublestar.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#3]
In your price range I would go with Colt, BCM, or Spikes (in that order). No need for a piston in my opinion but to each their own.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:33:59 PM EDT
[#4]
am looking for one as close to mill spec as u can get with out the full auto switch

so i wont have to replace parts to bring it up to spec

i have been reading alot about spikes and from what i have gotten is that

spikes uses billiet uppers and lowers m-16 bolt carriers MP tested bolt and m-4 feed ramps is what comes to mind

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:48:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
am looking for one as close to mill spec as u can get with out the full auto switch

so i wont have to replace parts to bring it up to spec

i have been reading alot about spikes and from what i have gotten is that

spikes uses billiet uppers and lowers m-16 bolt carriers MP tested bolt and m-4 feed ramps is what comes to mind

Their billet uppers and lowers is an option that they have.  They do have standard mil-spec uppers and lowers.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:01:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Fo that money I would definetly go with a BCM..
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:07:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Here it comes, the BCM bandwagon rolling in, I can here it!

I would buy the BM if that's what you want, who cares what other people say. BM is reliable, & priced right IMO.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#8]
If your budget is $1100, I would go with Spikes or BCM.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In your price range I would go with Colt, BCM, or Spikes (in that order). No need for a piston in my opinion but to each their own.

This.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Nothing really wrong with Bushy but you can have a better gun that meets your criteria in the Spike's or BCM.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#11]
For the prices they are selling at right now, it is hard to beat the Colt 6920 or 6940.  The 6920 is definitely in your price range, while the 6940 is close.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I own two Bushies and a BCM. I've never had a problem with my Bushies and I like them just fine. But they are not as nice as BCM. Sorry guys they're just not.

OP: it's up to you if you want to spend a little more on a nicer rifle. The Bushy is fine. The BCM is top quality. It's like comparing a Chevy Malibu to a Cadillac.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#13]
If you're planning on the Adams Arms system later, why not build a rilfe with it from the get-go? Or buy a complete piston AR.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Bushmasters have good barrels.  They also have name recognition when it comes time to resell it.

You could do a lot worse than Bushmaster.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top