Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2009 9:16:05 AM EDT
I'm sure this has been covered before but I couldn't find anything. I'm looking at 20" barreled upper with the Wylde chamber. What does everyone think of these uppers? Good, bad, avoid...?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Good for .223, most likely excellent, actually, but a small percentage won't handle 5.56.

If you really want the Wylde chamber I'd get a barrel from a smaller volume manufacturer.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I have shot lots of 5.56 out of my RRA Predator Pursuit (Wylde) and no problems...
Here is another thread on the subject...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=432193
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:58:21 AM EDT
[#3]
RRA on the Wylde Chamber:
"The .223 Wylde chamber was designed as a match chambering for semi-automatic rifles. It will accommodate both .223 Rem and 5.56 NATO ammunition. It is relieved in the case body to aid in extraction and features a shorter throat for improved accuracy."

I've got a couple of rifles from Rock River Arms chambered in .223 Wylde and they both shoot .223 and 5.56 very accurately and without any problems. Basically it's a match chamber designed to support both .223 and 5.56. I've been impressed enough that my next upper will be a Wylde too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
"The .223 Wylde chamber was designed as a match chambering for semi-automatic rifles. It will accommodate both .223 Rem and 5.56 NATO ammunition. It is relieved in the case body to aid in extraction and features a shorter throat for improved accuracy."

I've got a couple of rifles from Rock River Arms chambered in .223 Wylde and they both shoot .223 and 5.56 very accurately and without any problems. Basically it's a match chamber designed to support both .223 and 5.56. I've been impressed enough that my next upper will be a Wylde too.

+1, I had an RRA NM A2 with the Wylde chamber, handled 5.56 fine, in fact, that's all I shot out of it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I had to have mine reamed with a 5.56 reamer to shoot 5.56.  It would blow primers almost every round before reaming shooting XM193.

ETA: but that doesn't mean that you will have problems, I just happen to be one in the small percentage that got unlucky.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one and its fine.  Shoots 1 moa just like their ads say. I have shot M855 out of it and no problems with my rifle.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had to have mine reamed with a 5.56 reamer to shoot 5.56.  It would blow primers almost every round before reaming shooting XM193.

ETA: but that doesn't mean that you will have problems, I just happen to be one in the small percentage that got unlucky.

RRA Stainless Steel Wylde chambered barrels are made by Wilson. Was yours RRA or another brand?

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

RRA Stainless Steel Wylde chambered barrels are made by Wilson. Was yours RRA or another brand?

RRA chrome lined.  It's a Standard 20" A4.
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=225
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:42:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have a 20"Rock River Varmint rifle that has the Wylde chamber. The Wylde chamber is for getting the most accuracy out of your gun's chamber. Other varmint or match rifles have a similar accuracy chamber.  

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top