Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 8:55:38 PM EDT
If this is the wrong forum, sorry in advance. I already posted an ad in the WTB forum.

I'm looking for my first AR-15 in Western NC to have for general use at the range and around the house. Would prefer one built with mil-spec parts, a 20" 1/7 or 1/8 chrome-lined or stainless barrel, chromed chamber, Phantom or Birdcage flash hide, an A-4 receiver (w/handle or flip up rear sight and forged front sight), and standard furniture. An 18" or even a 16" barrel with the same configurations and specs is ok but I'd like to throw heavy bullets as fast, far, and as accurately as I can. I will consider rifles with 1/7 barrels. Only interested in 5.56/.223 for now.

I'd prefer a FTF purchase from another law-abiding person as long as everything is done the way it should be.

Used is ok as long as it's clean, in good shape, fits tight, and groups well.

Looking to spend around $900 on a rifle and some mags. Much more and I'd rather just buy new so I get exactly what I want.

If you have one you'd be willing to sell or know of a shop in the area that is selling one like I described above, let me know. I'm not interested in rifles that were built up as projects - I'd like a quality rifle as I'm looking to own the one I end up with indefinitely. It's a long shot to find one this way being so specific, especially here, but worth a shot while I'm looking if it saves me some money.

Any advice or insight on choices is also appreciated. Currently most interested in Bushmaster, CMMG, and Armalite (since I found one locally that has what I'd like)

Contact me at chan(dot)jones(at)hotmail(dot)com
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not looking to sell... But have you considered just buying a lower and building what you want? You could probably even get a lower off the books, since so many people bought them and can't get other parts.

No reason to ever buy a factory rifle... If you get what you want from a factory rifle, you don't know what you actually want. And, you'll pay more.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#2]
build what you want, its sooo easy to assemble one.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I looked into building it but have a lot on my plate right now so the time to shop around for parts and find out what is best isn't there right now.
I want a simple, dependable, practical AR. I may end up tweaking it but for now a complete rifle is the way I want to go since it will go bang, be reliable, and accurate.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yeah, I looked into building it but have a lot on my plate right now so the time to shop around for parts and find out what is best isn't there right now.

I want a simple, dependable, practical AR. I may end up tweaking it but for now a complete rifle is the way I want to go since it will go bang, be reliable, and accurate.

From a used rifle?

It doesn't take a lot of time or effort to hunt down the parts, and you have all of us at your disposal.
I'm helping my uncle build a rifle currently. He bought his lower, a DS from Aim Surplus. He told me what he wanted, and how much he was willing to spend.
In the past 48 hours... I have tracked down everything except a bolt carrier group and some handguards. I have even slept and eaten a little!

If you're still not convinced... Get a lower. Then, wait.

Lowers are a normal price now. As you get time, you can add parts. They're not going to spike in price again unless Obama declares himself uberfuhrer and sprouts Satan horns. Prices are going down, and will continue to do so unless something major happens. Things are working in favor of the slow builder.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Check the EE....
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#6]
EE?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

EE?

Equipment Exchange. Should be the same place you posted your WTB ad. If you're willing to spend ~$900, you should be able to get a new rifle plus a couple magazines. Like the others have said though, you're better off building...you won't find much in the way of 1/7 barrels (and definitely not 1/8) in a complete rifle for $900.

Old EE

New EE

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#8]
1.  Click here
2. Educate your self
3. Buy an upper or an upper kit
4. Buy a lower
5. Assemble
6. Save money, learn how your rifle works, have fun.

ETA:  Whats up "midnite recon", don't you stay up till one?  Just Kidding.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:15:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
1.  Click here
2. Educate your self
4. Buy a lower
5. Assemble

You want him to spend 300 dollars in tooling to build one gun????  That is NOT saving money.  That's spending 1600 dollars where only 1100 really needs to be spent.

OP, just go find a nice Armalite or Rock River A2 or A4 rifle or order one.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:31:48 AM EDT
[#10]
i bought my complete upper and complete lower for $880 total, Rock River Arms A4 factory new.   if u don't mind waiting you can probably get a factory new rifle for $900

if u don't mind waiting AND putting it together, this is the best deal in town:  STAG GROUP BUY $609

that's everything but the actual lower receiver.  spend about $150 more and you've got a complete rifle.  down side is you gotta put the small parts in the lower yourself and you won't get your parts for a few months probably
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:21:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
1.  Click here
2. Educate your self
4. Buy a lower
5. Assemble

You want him to spend 300 dollars in tooling to build one gun????  That is NOT saving money.  That's spending 1600 dollars where only 1100 really needs to be spent.

Where did you come up with $300?  Do you know anything about building ARs?  You are making a fool of yourself.  Putting an upper on a lower and assambling a lower using a kit requires a hammer, and a couple of punches and a screw driver.  A pair of needle nose pliers helps as well.  It saves you the Federal Tax on the rifle off the top of the price, and allows you to build exactly what you want.

As noted in the post above, the Stag deal is one of the best going on a good quality kit.

If you are patient, and fast when they come available you could build a rifle with
BCM upper $475 (If you are in a hurry, BCM is supposed to have more LMT uppers available soon)
BCM BCG   $160 (Again, if you are in a hurry, PK had some BCGs in stock last I knew, or order direct from Young Manufacturing)
Essential Arms Lower $110 or less
Lower Parts kit $70
Stock $80
Charging Handle $20
Midlength Handguards $20

Under $1K for what is one of the better ARs out there.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks all...especially to the poster who supplied the link to the long article.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1.  Click here

2. Educate your self

4. Buy a lower

5. Assemble

ETA:  Whats up "midnite recon", don't you stay up till one?
 Just Kidding.

Where did you come up with $300?  Do you know anything about building ARs?  You are making a fool of yourself.  Putting an upper on a lower and assambling a lower using a kit requires a hammer, and a couple of punches and a screw driver.  A pair of needle nose pliers helps as well.  It saves you the Federal Tax on the rifle off the top of the price, and allows you to build exactly what you want.

As noted in the post above, the Stag deal is one of the best going on a good quality kit.

If you are patient, and fast when they come available you could build a rifle with

BCM upper $475 (If you are in a hurry, BCM is supposed to have more LMT uppers available soon)

BCM BCG   $160 (Again, if you are in a hurry, PK had some BCGs in stock last I knew, or order direct from Young Manufacturing)

Essential Arms Lower $110 or less

Lower Parts kit $70

Stock $80

Charging Handle $20

Midlength Handguards $20

Under $1K for what is one of the better ARs out there.

I agree with this....but a rifle is no good without any rear sight. Add another $80-140.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Uhh....not only do I know a "little" about building ARs, I know a hell of a LOT about manufacturing in general.  There is a lot more to things than just slapping a bunch of parts together.

I don't just have a hammer and punches.  I have jigs, headspace gauges, clamps, vises, a bench, wrenches, torque wrenches, torque screwdrives, several sets of punches for the different types of pins found on different types of guns.

In other words, when I put an AR together, it looks and works like it was done at the factory...not in bubbas tool shed.

Not only can I assemble an AR-15 ( which is kinda kid's stuff ) I can build 1911s from a box of mismatched parts and make 'em run consistently.

So, if you really wanna know who the fool is, IM Gravity Tester and Winston Wolf and ask them how stupid I am.

Invite them over here and have them read this thread and have them give you THEIR opinion.

Anyhow, OP, I am sorry for the hi-jack.  My point being, it sounds like you are in the market for exactly one type of AR ( and a good choice, too ) not several.

Either an A2 or A4 will easily serve multiple needs.  Truly, you are better off finding a good Armalite or RRA A2 or A4 and going with that.  The rifle formats don't seem to be as popular as the carbine formats and seem to command much more reasonable prices.  I do reccommend, if you go with an A4, try to get a railed front sight block also so that if you go to a dedicated, longer range optic you won't have the front sight post in your way....BUT if you decide to run with a red dot system you will have the flexibility to co-witness on the FS or even both, if you so desire.

Ya know, an A2 with a cheek piece will also allow you to mount a good dedicated optic and you run a simpler system that with the rail, removeable carrying handle, front sight...etc.

Either way, good luck on your post.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:10:37 AM EDT
[#15]
my advice is to avoid bushmaster.  i much prefer Armalite or CMMG to bushy.

also, the Troy iron sights are top quality, but for $140 they should be

the Midwest Industries or Yankee Hill Manufacturing irons are good quality and not quite as expensive
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:14:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks again all, for all the info and insight. Due to budget restraints, I looked around once more but this time for parts. I found a dealer willing to work with me on the lower and it looks like I'm building a 16" 1/7 barrel CMMG M4 with an A4 sight from all new parts. Best part is it's going to get to me for $925 delivered.  Maybe I could have saved more if I had looked longer but as I said, I don't really have time for that so spending a little more is fine.

In other news, I have the Black Rifle bug now. I can see the next one being an intermediate/long range 6.5 or .308 with a 20" stainless barrel. Suggestions?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top