Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 3:08:09 PM EDT
I've had my AR for about two years now, a no frills Kiss RRA.  I've put exactly 2000rds through her now and i still don't know exactly what i like and don't like.  I know i want an optic, preferably an aimpoint as i use it for home defense/the occasional zombie on the range.  I haven't taken any courses other than reading stuff online.

My question is what optic do i get?  I've looked at MANY and am still not sure?  Trijicon makes the TA11 which is great for close range and even better for out to 600 yards, aimpoint is AMAZING for indoors and close range?  What do i do know?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Option #1 Buy what you like and give it a try, if you don't like it sell it and try something else.  Check out the EE for used examples of the optics you are interested in, and if you don't like it you should be able to get your money back (especially in the current market). I tried a bunch of optics, Eotech, Aimpoint, Cmore, the Leupold CQT, and stuck with what I liked the best (Eotech, ACOG, and Leupold).

Option #2  Post up in your Hometown forum and ask if anyone has an example of the optic(s) that you are interested in and arrange a range day.  This place is chock full with friendly folks that would like to help you out.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Me and my buddy laughed our asses off at the title.

But an aimpoint is  a great reflex sight, probably the best available and you cant go wrong with one.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Get both, it's the American way
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Option #1 Buy what you like and give it a try, if you don't like it sell it and try something else.  Check out the EE for used examples of the optics you are interested in, and if you don't like it you should be able to get your money back (especially in the current market). I tried a bunch of optics, Eotech, Aimpoint, Cmore, the Leupold CQT, and stuck with what I liked the best (Eotech, ACOG, and Leupold).

Option #2  Post up in your Hometown forum and ask if anyone has an example of the optic(s) that you are interested in and arrange a range day.  This place is chock full with friendly folks that would like to help you out.  

This is exactly the answer you are looking for.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#5]
First off, Im a die hard Aimpoint fan. That being said I would probably never buy one new if I could help it. You can find them on EE almost daily and as long as you buy one that hasnt been hit with a sledge hammer you can pretty much count on it working in new condition. I've got mine on top of a Larue 129 and would never change it out for anything. I've gone through about 800 dollars (much less than others) worth of equipment that I've bought and sold on EE trying to find something that works the way I want it to. That's the exact reason EE will become your best friend. You dont want to buy something new, hate it, then have to put it on the EE and take a hit.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got an aimpoint about a week ago. I don't get the hype at all. It is a red dot scope that can handle anything you throw at it. How much torture are you really ever going to put it through? I got mine in a mount for less that $200, if I had paid anymore I would be pissed.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Arfcom tells you what you like or don't like, silly.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Alright boy, this here's a chicken, this here's a chicken hawk.

If you have a RRA KISS and something hasn't jumped out and grabbbed you like an Aimpoint or a FF rail
feel fortunate, leave it as a KISS, learn your irons and shoot the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I would trade my Eo 552 in a quarter of a heart beat for that acog if that's what you wanna know.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#10]
break it down like this...
If all optics were the same price–– you'd pick the one that's best for your needs... you want an optic that is close and far useable...   Get a 1-4x...

If cost doesn't daunt you... get a S&B Short-dot($2000+) and call it good... or go for the trijicon accupoint 1-4x($600)...
I've bought 3 Aimpoints (M2's) for $250-275 ea over the last year... they weren't pretty, but the glass was perfect and functioned perfect.
So if that's what you want... be patient and look on the EE to snatch one for cheap =)  200m 'a-zone' shots are doable w/o magnification if you practice em =)

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top