Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2009 1:27:14 PM EDT
I am getting my LaRue 20" complete rifle finished up. Due to out of stock issues, I had to order my Magpul PRS in FDE, so I am changing the rest of it to FDE. I have a MagPul MIAD coming in FDE, and some FDE rail covers, but I am wondering if anyone makes rail covers long enough to cover the full rail? or should I just get extra and put 2 on each rail?

LaRue makes awesome rails, but I dont really see the need for a 4 railed handguard on a precision AR anyway.  This is the rifle in question. I am trying to get other FDE items on it so the stock doesnt look stupid.

This is a mock up as I am waiting on a rifle buffer tube to get the stock mounted.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#1]
No one makes a one-piece that long, to my knowledge.  I would recommend using a bunch of Magpul XTM covers - when you put them next to each other, they look like one unit.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#2]
looking for fde rail covers,
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#3]
no one makes a rail cover that long that I know of. I just ordered the magpul rail ladders, but my rifle is black so you barely see the seam...I don't know why they don't make them longer since so many have long rails now....
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I second the XTM suggestion.  You can keep adding them on to make up any length.  You could also alternate the FDE with black as well to create something a little different if you wanted.

Once the XTM panels are in place and right next to each other, they feel like one solid rail panel.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Your SPR build is very similar to the one I am currently building on a LaRue 18" stealth.  Nobody makes full length covers, you need to buy more and cut them to fit.  I was also going to use the PRS, but couldn't justify the cost, so I went with an A2 stock that I'm duracoating in FDE.  I have a FDE MIAD, and 4 FDE magpul ladder rail covers (2 for the top, and one for each the forward left and right portions).  I am using 3 magpul XT rail covers for the rear bottom, left, and right portions of the rail that you hold for prone positions (ALL in FDE).  Now you need a few FDE 20rd Pmags and are GTG.

Like this but with Magpul XTs rather than Tango downs (tangodowns are great but their FDE doesn't match magpul FDE):
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I have Magpul XTM rail covers and I like them a lot, that would be my recommendation.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#7]
+ 1 more for the XTM's
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Guess I will order the FDE XTM's. They are damn expensive.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Just ordered 6 sets of FDE XTM covers.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Guess I will order the FDE XTM's. They are damn expensive.

They cover the same space as a XT, for about 4 dollars cheaper a set, and your not forced to cover a large area. way cheaper in my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I ordered 6 set of 4, hopefully that will be close enough.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#12]
The Tango Down SCAR FDE panels are nice too.  The largest ones are a hair longer than your typical "large" panel.

They can be found at Bravo Company.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I hate the look and feel of XTMs, but they are a viable option because it does kind of look like one long panel. I would say just use whatever panels you have and put ladder covers over the rest of the exposed rails.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I havent handled the XTM's so cant comment on their feel, but I have to say, they are my favorite as far as looks, FWIW.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#15]
The longest I've ever seen have been the ERGO lo-pro. Getting them that long is friggin' expensive so I just get the 2 slot 30 packs and it works/looks just fine. Especially for a rail that I've just trying to keep from getting dinged and not preventing chafing on a rappelling line or something like that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#16]
The bottom rifle is a 12" rail with six XTM panels on the side.  I could get two more XTM's on the end, but I left it open so I can add/remove a light, bipod etc. without hassle.

The top is a Spector Length Diamond and XTM's cover it entirely.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks a ton for those pictures amigo. Exactly what I wanted to see. My rail is a LaRue 13.2, so it wasnt cheap to cover
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top