Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 2:15:38 PM EDT

Can an aluminum, carbine free-float tube (cylindrical, vented) be installed on a mid-length RRA upper? I mean, I'm sure it can, but will there be a big gap between the front of the tube and the rear of the FSB? The mid-length hand guard measures approximately 9" w/barrel nut, while the vented, carbine tube measures about 7.25" w/barrel nut. I assume the FSB can't be easily relocated due to the gas port, so am I correct that the new hand guard would leave a 1.75" gap between it and the FSB? And if so, would this be ugly and unprofessional looking? Should I just sell the new vented, carbine free-float tube and stick with the stock (mid-length) hand guards, or is there an option I'm overlooking?

Fred B. - Relative AR newbie
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of manufacturers make 9" midlength tubes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]
either stick with the stock guards... or get a set of midlength handguards...

DD Omega gets my vote––- SOLID lockup and free-float...   but pretty damn pricey...
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#3]
It is technically possible.  But not recommended.  If you use a carbine hand guard, there will be an unacceptable gap between the end of the hand guard and the FSB.  Too much of your gas port would be exposed and it'll just look goofy.

Simply sell the carbine hand guard and buy a free-float hand guard MEANT for your midlength gas gun.  There are tons of options out there these days.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I thought. I picked up the carbine length tube at the last gun show because I was stupid and the price was right.

I just want a racy "tube" hand guard, nothing with rails. But it has to be reasonable. So far the most reasonable option I've found is the RRA free-float aluminum tube in mid length for $75. I'd like to find something even less expensive, but I'll sell the carbine length tube and pony up the extra for the RRA tube if I have to. Anyone in the DFW (TX) area who might wanna help me install the new guard when the time comes? I don't have a barrel wrench, vise receiver clamps or hand guard removal tool, so I'll have to take it to a shop otherwise. I'd gladly pay a six-pack or something!

Fred B. - budget AR novice
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Try asking for some local assistance in the AR15.com Texas Home Team Forum.  I'm sure someone would be happy to help.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome N2ch, I didn't even know there was such a forum. Thank you.

Fred B.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top