Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2008 10:40:34 PM EDT
I just ordered some ammo, once it gets here I'll be able to try out my new CMMG.

All I have on hand currently is that RemOil/teflon spray, and whatever oil came in my cleaning kits.  Is the RemOil fine to use during break in, or should I get this CLP stuff that I keep hearing about?

I've used RemOil on all my past firearms, as well as my current XD-45, without any issues.  But since this is the first AR I've ever owned, not really sure if it will do the job good enough.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 10:53:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, that's fine.  Anything from RemOil to Mobil-1 will work, just make sure you get a good coat of it on everything...especially the BCG.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Mobil 1?  Weird, but I guess I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work since it's used to lubricate a motor which is much more complex than a rifle.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 12:14:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Not my first choice, but I would not hesitate to use Rem-oil.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 12:37:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Mobil 1?  Weird, but I guess I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work since it's used to lubricate a motor which is much more complex than a rifle.

Not really weird at all.  Many of the high end gunsmiths in the US recommend Mobile 1 (synthetic) over all the other oils out there for their firearms.  It's use is very common in the high end STI/SVI Open and Limited Division USPSA competition guns.  The viscosity is very high, it's made to handle very high temps and not break down, and for the amount you get in one quart it will last for a very very long time.  The extremely tight fittings on the higher end custom firearms really don't work well with greases or oils that thicken when heated to a high temp.  Mobile 1 is probably one of the best lubes you can use on a gun.

Ironically, 30 weight engine oil is what's recommended for use on M-2 machineguns, and those SOB's get fricken hot.

Any oil will work fine for break-in on your AR.  Just be liberal with it.  As already mentioned, make sure the bolt carrier group is nice and wet for break-in.  The biggest issue is to not overheat the gun during break in, IMO.  Let it stay relatively cool for the first 200 rounds or so.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:01:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Mobil 1 woks great in harsh conditions, I have a Colt Ace 22LR with the floating chamber, I tried all the regular gun lubes and the chamber would still freeze up after 100 rounds and the chamber would be very hard to remove and clean. I tried Mobil 1 and the chamber remains free no matter how many rounds I fire. The chamber just falls out and the carbon and lead deposits just wipe off.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:49:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd use CLP
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:13:37 AM EDT
[#7]
CLP is cheap.  Breakfree is much better at preventing rust than RemOil and is a better lube.  I learned this the hard way on the rust.

You can use the RemOil but if you get a malfunction you just end up blaming the oil and trying CLP.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Whatever you use, just use plenty. Dry guns make as much sense as dry internal combustion engines.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a can because once it was all I could find at a local store and I was out of CLP.  It is thin and doesn't last very well but as long as it is reapplied it hasn't ever failed me.  

Yes any oil will work and is better than nothing.

Joe
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 9:18:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Check out this article:

www.ar15.com/content/swat/keepitrunning.pdf

Yes, the RemOil will be fine.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#11]
CLP breakfree or nuthin
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 9:35:27 AM EDT
[#12]
i use something called Aladin Magic Lube its a teflon STICKY lubricant, but if you put on a REALLY thin layer on everything inside and out it will keep everything much smoother and pretty much waterproof as well. just have to make sure you wipe all excess cause it is really sticky and not really used in place of oil as much as for protection

http://www.shoppaddock.com/017120207.html
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
CLP breakfree or nuthin

Good advice...
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Slip2000

But RemOil, Mobil 1, CLP... they'll all work.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#15]
RemOil, Slip2000 and Breakfree all meet the Army contract performance requirements for CLP.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top