Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2008 8:19:08 PM EDT
Assuming you are like me and don't have the tools and/or knowledge to install yourself, who would you send your upper to to have a free float handguard (Daniel Defense M4) installed?
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have any local gunsmiths that can do it? I had one in my town put my Larue 7.0 on. Ask around.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#2]
With the right tools, I can't imagine it'd be any more difficult than this:

Larue / ShootingUSA handguard install video  <---- click me!

ETA:  

Reading is fundamental!!  

Quoted:
Assuming you are like me and don't have the tools and/or knowledge to install yourself, who would you send your upper to to have a free float handguard (Daniel Defense M4) installed?

A local smith.  Check in your home-town forum for advice/recommendations.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 6:00:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Okay WOW...that does look pretty easy...30 min tops?
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 6:15:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's another video from Brownell's. I hope this helps!

Brownell's Free Float video
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 8:16:16 AM EDT
[#5]
The DD M4 install is very simple and can be done without a lot of tools.  The hardest part will be removing your FSB is you have one.  The M4 simply screws on and is tightened down with a standard barrel wrench, while the outer ring can be snugged up using a strap wrench.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#6]
After seeing these vids I'm drasticallly rethinking my next AR rifle purchase.  Might actually build my first upper.  I was looking at the Bushy Modular carbine but like the full length guard (replaced with a rail system) on the disspator.  I'm thinking a 16" heavy barrel with that Larue 13.5" free floater.  It would be sweet!!!  And if my rough math isn't off by too much, about the same price.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 9:37:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't have any gunsmithing skills at all but followed the Brownell's video and then printed the pdf file to take into the garage with me.  I changed the handguard on my Bushmaster carbine.  Only real problem was one of the pins on the FSB. Finally, ground down and old punch and used a "BFH" to get it to move.  Once the pin was out it took less than 30 min. Shot it this last weekend and everything works, so must have been a good install.  

I did watch both videos a couple of times.  Didn't have the receiver block but found a couple of boards and two c-clamps seemed to work just fine.  Didn't warp anything and the barrel nut came loose without any problem.  

I was rather proud of myself.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#8]
who has a link to that cool upper reciver block ?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
who has a link to that cool upper reciver block ?

Which one?

The one in the first video is similar to one made by DPMS and called the "claw" or something to that effect.  The one DPMS makes is plastic and I considered it, but didn't like the though of the locating pins taking all the torque of breaking the barrel loose etc.  www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=17094&title=AR-15/AR-STYLE%20.308%20UPPER%20RECEIVER%20BLOCK

The one in the second video is from Brownells and is referred to as a clamshell which is what I went with.  In the video he neglected to insert the inner support which stops any deformation of the upper.  Works great.  I left my upper in the vice for almost the entire operation, only exception was when I cut down the FSB to fit under the full floater tube (which is also the same as the one in the vid, but installed on a 16" carbine).  www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=22385&st=702-003-015%20&s=25374
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy the tools. It's why the AR platform is so great. Everything is relatively easy to fix or work on.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top