Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2008 8:52:58 AM EDT
Howdy all! Just getting back into the AR market after a long absence. My last (and right now, only) AR is a Bushmaster A2 16" HBAR I bought during the AW-ban years. It has always run 100% and has recently been upgraded with an M4 collapsable stock. (The barrel will probably go to ADCO soon for contouring and a FH install).

I guess my question is this... Now I am looking to buy a few more AR's.  The last time I did my shopping it was always ABC (Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt).  Now I see that isn't considered the case. I have been very happy with my Bushmaster but I recognize that things sometimes change.  If the ABC's no longer rule, who has replaced them. There are about 20 manufactures/vendors to look at that didn't even exist when I bought my last AR.

Just confused and wondering...

Thx!

Coffee
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Armalite and Colt are still excellent.

Bushmaster, you might have problems, but they'll take care of you.

You could build your own, too, if you want.

How much money do you want to spend?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Howdy all! Just getting back into the AR market after a long absence. My last (and right now, only) AR is a Bushmaster A2 16" HBAR I bought during the AW-ban years. It has always run 100% and has recently been upgraded with an M4 collapsable stock. (The barrel will probably go to ADCO soon for contouring and a FH install).

I guess my question is this... Now I am looking to buy a few more AR's.  The last time I did my shopping it was always ABC (Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt).  Now I see that isn't considered the case. I have been very happy with my Bushmaster but I recognize that things sometimes change.  If the ABC's no longer rule, who has replaced them. There are about 20 manufactures/vendors to look at that didn't even exist when I bought my last AR.

Just confused and wondering...

Thx!

Coffee

nobody has replaced them. they still make a great product, albeit a bit more expensive then when you bought yours.

there are a LOT of people here with an axe to grind, or an e-penis to swing, who use internet forums to vent. take everything you read worth a grain of salt, and verify.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I have found that in the AR15 world, people are fickle as heck about the brand of choice at the moment.  I am perfectly satisfied with my Bushmaster and my Armalites.  If I were buying today, I would seriously take a look at LMT.  Then again, I would not think twice about buying another Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Most of mine are FrankenARs. I have a complete DPMS carbine, one complete LMT, and two complete Colts. I will have a complete DTI (Del-Ton, Inc.) carbine this week. My other seven ARs are all builds that I have spec'd out. I have used LMT, CMMG, and Del-Ton uppers. For lowers, there is Noveske, DPMS, LMT, LCW (LMT), Spikes Tactical, and Centermass. LPK from DPMS, LMT, and RRA. I have made a point to use dependable and well-made products. In the market today, there is a multitude of choices. That goes for buying a complete weapon or parts to build your own. You are correct about the ABC's. There is no real order these days. You pretty much need to check out what is here on ARFCOM. Lots of good info and feedback. Just standby. I am sure that you will get a lot of responses on this thread.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#5]
With so many AR mfgs. suppling the military and also trying to suppy the non military market with ARs and their supplying vendors being asked to supply the same markets. It's hard to base what you buy today on past years.

Lots of things have changed like the vendors and what the non military AR Mfgs. will except in their quality of received parts. And what the supply chain will except.

I still feel you can get a quality AR and buying now is a really good idea as I am betting prices will just keep going higher.

Now the problem is just finding the AR you want and hope that you can buy it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#6]
There seems to be a "Flavor of the month" system right now. Makers fall in & out of favor all the time. Even Colt has it's anti-fans here.
The small shops doing custom type builds are popular mostly, with Noveske on top....for now.
CMMG was right up there, but it's popularity grew faster than it's production capacity did. So, their wait time went up, while their CS ability went down.
Bushy has had some QC issues that caused them to loose fans around here.
LMT is considered top-notch, but if they slip-up on anything, it gets plastered up here for all to see.
Stag is holding it's own as a "good quality" company.
RRA is a nice company too, but, some seek fault in their materials.
Armalite is good to go, for a "middle-of-the-road" brand.
DPMS & Olympic are sneered at by the brand snobs...

For every brand, you will find positive & negative opinions here. Go with what makes you happy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#7]
What kind of AR do you want?

LMT, Colt, Noveske, Sabre would be my top choices right now for a top of the line AR.

Next, Stag, Armalite, or CMMG.

After that, Bushmaster, RRA.

After that, everything else.

I'm putting together an LMT upper with a Stag lower this week.  I hear Bravo Company is going to put out their M4 uppers any day now, and then their midlengths after that, which is tempting.  You may want to look into getting a complete upper and lower separate and snapping together. You save a little money that way and can get to notch parts without the tax.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#8]
i sell all different brands here at the store.  i dont really get any complaints about any of them.  i think colt, armalite, and bushmaster are the most well known, but i think almost any good quality AR you buy is going to do the job.  ive heard the brand snobs talk junk about DPMS and olympic a good bit, but ive owned an olympic and never had any trouble whatsoever.  

i think theyre all pretty good with the exception of vulcan armament/blackthorne.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#9]

"What kind of AR do you want?"

What's started me back to the AR's is my current need for a decent low-light fighting gun.  Worked day shift for quite a while and didn't feel undergunned with open irons. Now that I'm on night shift again I've convinced the missus that not having a red-dot/flashlight capable rifle is a public and personal safety issue  ... As such I've gotten a little money (about $600.00) approved for a lump sum purchase.  This isn't as bad as it sounds... I still have several lowers laying around from my old gun buying days (a few RRA and a coupla Bushmasters). I've also, pending my final decission, accumulated some additional parts towards the completed project - accumulations that do not count towards the $600.  

For this first gun I figured I would just order an upper from a company like JT Distrubuting or Model-1.  Based upon my previous experience I ordered the guts (carrier, bolt, M-4 adjustable stock, buffer, and buffer tube) from Bushmaster. I already had a Bushmaster Lower Parts Kit from around the time of my first rifle. I felt this would give me superior quality where it matters... but some of these posts have me concerned.

I do admit that some of the other "upper assemblies" i'm seeing as a result of my research here do excite me. (such as the options available through CMMG). The amount and variety of the venders is somewhat bewildering, however...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:26:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Rock River and especially Armalite seem to have the best fit 'n finnish
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Armalite and Colt are still excellent.

Bushmaster, you might have problems, but they'll take care of you.

You could build your own, too, if you want.

How much money do you want to spend?

That's about it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top