Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2008 9:30:56 AM EDT
Hi all, I'm not new to AR's by any means but this is probably going to be my first Pony Gun. I have a few questions but first with the pics:

now the questions:

1. Would this be a 6400? I'm thinking this is right but if someone could put a model on it I would be appreciative.
2. Why does it say .223. Am I going to be able to shoot 5.56 out of it?
3. The trigger pins are almost bare. I'm thinking rotation or someone did a halfass job of removing/reinstalling the trigger.
4. No Bayo Lug. I'm thinking a Ban Gun.
5. WTF if that brake on the end? It appears to be pinned but I am wondering why it was pinned. The gun is not marked LE Only and is made by Colt Defense. The barrell is way to long to be 14.5 w/ a pinned FH. From the back of the Delta ring to the tip of the Break is 17" so this thing is probably 18-19" OAL.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out. The break is coming off as soon as I take it home and I'm planning on having it shortened to 14.5 and having either a vortex or a phantom pinned on it.

ETA: I did  reviewTHIS thread but since mine is marked .223 I thought it might be different.

Link Posted: 6/25/2008 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hi all, I'm not new to AR's by any means but this is probably going to be my first Pony Gun. I have a few questions but first with the pics:

ikickhippies.com/colt/DSC_1661.JPG
ikickhippies.com/colt/DSC_1660.JPG
ikickhippies.com/colt/DSC_1659.JPGikickhippies.com/colt/DSC_1658.JPGikickhippies.com/colt/DSC_1657.JPGikickhippies.com/colt/DSC_1656.JPGikickhippies.com/colt/DSC_1655.JPG

now the questions:

1. Would this be a 6400? I'm thinking this is right but if someone could put a model on it I would be appreciative.
2. Why does it say .223. Am I going to be able to shoot 5.56 out of it?
3. The trigger pins are almost bare. I'm thinking rotation or someone did a halfass job of removing/reinstalling the trigger.
4. No Bayo Lug. I'm thinking a Ban Gun.
5. WTF if that brake on the end? It appears to be pinned but I am wondering why it was pinned. The gun is not marked LE Only and is made by Colt Defense. The barrell is way to long to be 14.5 w/ a pinned FH. From the back of the Delta ring to the tip of the Break is 17" so this thing is probably 18-19" OAL.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out. The break is coming off as soon as I take it home and I'm planning on having it shortened to 14.5 and having either a vortex or a phantom pinned on it.

ETA: I did  reviewTHIS thread but since mine is marked .223 I thought it might be different.

Colt MT6400C Link

You can shoot 5.56 and check your stock to see if it is a sliding one if it is then it was modified or changed out.  It is not a 6920 at all.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#2]
THe stock was swapped out, and I don't think it is a colt stock but I'm not sire how to tell either.

Thanks for the link though.

I've also read that the MTM4 did not some with the m16 carrier. I'll check on this one to see if it did or not.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

1. Would this be a 6400? Colt MT6400C
2. Why does it say .223. Am I going to be able to shoot 5.56 out of it? Yes because the barrel says 556
4. No Bayo Lug. I'm thinking a Ban Gun. You're right. The 6400 was born during the ban
5. WTF if that brake on the end? It appears to be pinned but I am wondering why it was pinned. Because some States/Countries doesn't allow threaded barrels The gun is not marked LE Only and is made by Colt Defense. The barrell is way to long to be 14.5 w/ a pinned FH. The barrel itself is 16'' From the back of the Delta ring to the tip of the Break is 17" so this thing is probably 18-19" OAL.

as you said the stock has been replaced. The original one was blocked.
The one in the pic is not a Colt stock for sure.

HTH

Link Posted: 6/25/2008 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#4]
what you have there is a Colt MT6400C , install a m16 BCG ,have the barrel threaded for a FS ,install  a FSB with a bayonet lug ,and get a colapsable M4 stock and you have a 6920 with a Kooler roll mark . ADDCO can do the work .
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
what you have there is a Colt MT6400C , install a m16 BCG ,have the barrel threaded for a FS ,install  a FSB with a bayonet lug ,and get a colapsable M4 stock and you have a 6920 with a Kooler roll mark . ADDCO can do the work .

So you're saying it's worth the $500-$600 I'll be paying for it?

btw- can some post the link to how to determine what bcg is what?
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Are the chambers and bores on the MT6400Cs chrome lined?
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#7]

So you're saying it's worth the $500-$600 I'll be paying for it?

YES!!!!   I paid $1,250 for my 6400 NIB about 2 years ago.  They are very hard to find, and even used I can sell my gun for what I paid.  Someone who wants a Colt AR15 and lives in a banned state (like I do in NJ) will pay dearly for a 6400.  For the price you are stealing that gun you have lots of money left to add accessories and options.  

If the seller has another Colt for the same price please IM me.  I am willing to pay a finders fee.  

Ken
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Are the chambers and bores on the MT6400Cs chrome lined?

yes fully chrome lined
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I have one of those and I denuetered it. I paid under a G for it 3 years ago practically brand new. BTW, look on the barrel and your will see 5.56.

ETA: That brake is OFFENSIVE to anybody next to you at the range. I even caught my buddy's range bag on fire, or well it least was smoking form the burn, cause we were using it to block the blast to the guy next to me. Get it off there ASAP!
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#10]
You're right, The picture of the barrel I posted earlier showed it was 5.56. I should have paid more attention to that than to the markings on the side.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#11]
If you dont buy it let me know.. I have some CT State Police guys that are looking for that gun casue it is the only gun they can carry on duty..

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#12]
IT IS WORTH THE MONEY BUY THE DAMN RIFLE B4 SOMEONE ELSE SNAGS IT . you can get an M16 BCG from Bravo for $130.00,though you realy don't need it as the colt BCG is very good as is .you have stumbled on a smokeing deal grab it .
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#13]
It's mine.

I think I'm going to keep the BCG the way it is. The break is definitely coming off and the stock is being swapped out. Got to do something about those POS CAA handguards too.

Thanks for everyone's help on this, I really appreciate the positive input that everyone gave.

It really shows that on some things we can work together. Even on a Colt Topic.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:39:51 PM EDT
[#14]
The gun probably has an M16 BCG.  I think that only the realy old MT6400s had the AR15 BCG... or so I gather from reading.  My MT6400C is marked Colt Mfg Co. on the lower.  I hear newer ones are marked Colt Defense.... or it may be random.  Anyway, mine MT6400C has an M16 BCG since I purchased NIB.  At any rate, just field strip the gun and you can see.  There are some pics of M16 BCGs floating around the internet for you to compare it to.
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Diemaco Canadian upper receiver Cool. You are getting a hell of deal.
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#16]
They are great guns, I have two that I used basically the lower receivers to build an SBR  M4 with 14.5" and one with a 14.5 and permanent FH  $500-600 is an absolute steal!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top