Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2007 11:10:00 PM EDT
I just thought to share a build that I finished this week. It was meant to fulfill certain requirements:

1) Avoid a front heavy feel. My POF is front heavy, and while it functions great, I prefer more of a weight neutral sense of balance.

2) Utilize a SOCOM profile barrel. My LWRC is weight neutral, but I do not like how they use a govt. profile barrel. I had some accuracy issues with my LWRC, and someone suggested that maybe it is because of the barrel profile.

3) Allow me to switch out barrels without sending my upper back to a factory/manufacturer. Both LWRC and POF utilize proprietary gas blocks. I thought it would be nice to have the option to reconfigure your AR platform without the requisite 3-6 months wait.

4) Utilize a low profile handguard with proper clearance for the gas piston. I prefer to have a handguard that does not raise my optics. I know that the ARES will fit under an ARMS 50 and a Vltor CASV (with some modification). It turns out that my LWRC handguard works with a standard barrel nut. In addition it properly clears the ARES gas piston without any modifications. Interestingly, my LWRC gas block touches the LWRC handguard. The ARES gas piston does not. (+1)

Note: LWRC sells their ARM-R handguards for ~ $300 I think.

I decided to use a Daniel Defense clamp style gas block. I have seen a ARES conversion kit utilized with a PRI Flip Up gas block/front sight (clamp style). It was run on full auto over 3000 rounds without the gas block slipping. I am curious to see if the DD gas block also holds up well.

Installation was a breeze. Tighten up & align the barrel nut. Then insert the spring and op rod into the upper receiver. Next, slide the gas block with the spigot AND gas piston onto the barrel. Slide the gas piston over the op rod and push the gas block to its final position. Tighten the gas block clamp screws and you are all set.

Please feel free to opine as you see fit. Just thought to share. Regards.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:04:15 AM EDT
[#1]
neat!
i've kinda got my eye on the ARES piston.  it appears a good deal more flexible than others.
where'd you get it and how much?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:49:15 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a whole thread in the New Products Forum on the AR-15 menu.

Denny at Global Tactical is your contact.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:38:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There is a whole thread in the New Products Forum on the AR-15 menu.

Denny at Global Tactical is your contact.

you are correct, it totaly slipped my mind.    i think i even posted in that one.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#4]
bb,

Thank you for this.  Is the ARES system pictured on your LWRC rifle?  What make of handguards are shown in the pic?  I'm assuming LWRC, but I could be wrong.  Also, any idea what other types of railed handguards would be compatible with the ARES Gas Piston without modification?

Bud

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#5]
The rifle has been built from parts. Mega upper with a CMMG SOCOM profile barrel. The LWRC handguard is from my LWRC upper. The only railed handguard that I know of that fits without modification is the ARMS 50C/M.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top