Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2007 9:59:37 PM EDT
So, I picked up an AR and there was one of those little rubber wedges behind/under the takedown pin.

The Upper and Lower are a pretty good fit already...and really tight with the wedge. So what are those little suckers really supposed to do...and do they do it?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure you just answered your own question.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#2]
if your upper and lower receiver are loose and rattle a lot they will quiet the rattle.  if they already fit together good their is no need for the rubber wedgie.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't see the point anyway. I don't think it effects the accuracy of the rifle if theres a little wobble.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't see the point anyway. I don't think it effects the accuracy of the rifle if theres a little wobble.

Seeing as how the barrel, bolt/carrier, and optics are all built into the upper, probably not much.

However, the same goes for bolt guns, yet glass bedding stock is supposed to help.  I think the wedge falls under the same concept.  Increase rigidity and reduce wobble in the platform to improve accuracy (actually, the proper term would be precision, or the ability of the rifle to consistently make shots with little variation).
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:33:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I wont buy one

I heard that some OLDER COLTs came with them
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:06:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Wallet lightener.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:43:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Wallet lightener.  
Of a whole $3? Thats less then a gallon of 87 oct.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:11:01 AM EDT
[#8]
My Colt HBAR CNMT came with one. I put them in if there is any play between receivers but that's just because I like the more solid feel they give the rifle. I don't think they help accuracy unless your receiver fit is so bad that the cheek weld changes slightly?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:37:03 AM EDT
[#9]
They are also said to prevent tight fitting receivers from loosening by reducing the enlarging of the take-down pin hole caused by firing and impacts. Many older ARs get loose from this type of wear. The Accuwedge may do this, but it would take a long study to prove it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:40:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:46:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Wallet lightener.  

A Big +1.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:16:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
So what are those little suckers really supposed to do

Appease the folks with OCD.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:18:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Make the fit tighter. They do work I have them in all my guns.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:21:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So what are those little suckers really supposed to do

Appease the folks with OCD.

+13
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:14:37 AM EDT
[#15]
They'll make your gun more accurate... Hence the name....
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:54:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
They'll make your gun more accurate... Hence the name....

Hmmmmmm.......doubtful.  The wobble and slop is mostly psychological.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I've had them in a couple of Colts.  My S&W MP15T and my Armalite don't need them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Russ4777

Hmmmmmm.......doubtful. The wobble and slop is mostly psychological.

Russ... Run a diagnostic check on your "sarcasm" meter... I think it's out of calibration......
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Russ4777

Hmmmmmm.......doubtful. The wobble and slop is mostly psychological.

Russ... Run a diagnostic check on your "sarcasm" meter... I think it's out of calibration......

Don't worry Harv, I understand your intent.  Perhaps if the guy puts in two AW's the rifle will be twice as accurate.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#21]
So does it push on the takedown pin, or does it push against the BCG?

If it pushes against the BCG, wouldn't it wear out pretty quickly?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:54:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
In case any reader is unfamiliar with these things, here is one installed.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=20930

Excellent pic friend!

I think it's more of a feel good device. If you have some slop, it's not required. if you have lots of slop, it can't hurt but it may or may not help anything.

It's your thing (and your money) do what you wanna do.

Danny
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
So does it push on the takedown pin, or does it push against the BCG?

If it pushes against the BCG, wouldn't it wear out pretty quickly?

They push against the upper receiver take down pin lug.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Bah.  Those are the words I was looking for when I put in pin.

Okay then.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent pic friend!

I think it's more of a feel good device. If you have some slop, it's not required. if you have lots of slop, it can't hurt but it may or may not help anything.

Danny

My own AR is pretty tight, so I've never had any reason to install one. But it seems to me that if there is slop between the upper and lower of your rifle, it CAN affect accuracy. If the slop is one direction while 'relaxed' (i.e., just before you fire), then the recoil of the upper against the lower will introduce a little bit of movement as the gun is firing... resulting in some barrel misalignment.

All this takes place in a fraction of a second so it isn't real obvious. But what would any of us do to gain, say, 1/2 MOA of accuracy? This question is NOT academic; there are several factors that will affect accuracy. If you have a potentially perfect rifle, capable of firing one-hole groups at 100 yards, but have 5 error factors that each introduce 1/2 MOA of inaccuracy, then your rifle won't shoot better than 2 1/2 inches at 100 yards. This is called "cumulative error." You must eliminate ALL these errors in order to shoot that perfect score.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent pic friend!

Danny

My own AR is pretty tight, so I've never had any reason to install one. But it seems to me that if there is slop between the upper and lower of your rifle, it CAN affect accuracy. If the slop is one direction while 'relaxed' (i.e., just before you fire), then the recoil of the upper against the lower will introduce a little bit of movement as the gun is firing... resulting in some barrel misalignment.

All this takes place in a fraction of a second so it isn't real obvious. But what would any of us do to gain, say, 1/2 MOA of accuracy? This question is NOT academic; there are several factors that will affect accuracy. If you have a potentially perfect rifle, capable of firing one-hole groups at 100 yards, but have 5 error factors that each introduce 1/2 MOA of inaccuracy, then your rifle won't shoot better than 2 1/2 inches at 100 yards. This is called "cumulative error." You must eliminate ALL these errors in order to shoot that perfect score.

While I am inclined to agree with you, Armalite's testing appears to show that a little wobble isn't a problem.

Maybe they weren't going for that one-hole group.

Either way, since the wedge is so cheap, I wouldn't criticize anyone for buying one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
While I am inclined to agree with you, Armalite's testing appears to show that a little wobble isn't a problem.

Maybe they weren't going for that one-hole group.

Don’t forget the Army Markmanship Unit's thoughts too. I think those fellas might know a thing or two about accuracy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top