Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/11/2007 10:39:34 PM EDT
So the gunstore has both of these in stock... I want one... But I can't decide... I'd like peoples opinions on two questions I have...

Which of the two rifles is more similar to an actual current military issue M4 (ignore the pistol grip difference)?

Which of the two rifles is better quality?

While I'm at it, side questions... Do all Colt 16" Carbines and LMT Defender 2000's have 1/7 twist barrels? The ones in stock don't say either way anywhere on them... Just wanted to check and confirm...
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#1]
The Colt is going to be closer to the issue M4 beucase Colt makes the issue M4.  Assuming the LMT has the SOPMOD stock - it may give the apperance of a current use carbine though.

Me?  I would get the LMT but I think in reality you can't go wrong with either one of them.

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Colt.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:05:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Why would it matter what is closer to issued M4's, is that why your buying it? or are you buying it to shoot it. If your doing the former, you should go with airsoft. If you are doing the latter, pick whichever feels better in your hands.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:01:30 AM EDT
[#4]
GET BOTH
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:27:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So the gunstore has both of these in stock... I want one... But I can't decide... I'd like peoples opinions on two questions I have...

Which of the two rifles is more similar to an actual current military issue M4 (ignore the pistol grip difference)?

Which of the two rifles is better quality?

While I'm at it, side questions... Do all Colt 16" Carbines and LMT Defender 2000's have 1/7 twist barrels? The ones in stock don't say either way anywhere on them... Just wanted to check and confirm...

No they dont all have 1/7 barrels

However, they should have the twist rate stamped on the bbl itself

Many Colt LE rifles are 1/7, but some are 1/9 (6721 for one), and the standard 16" LMT M4 profile barrel is a 1/7.

Best?

Purely subjective and both are top flight,  but all things considered, I would buy the Colt 6920.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:17:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I like LMT BETTER than Colts 6920 M4

My Defender 2000 M4 came with

SOPMOD Tele Stock    (Far better than 6920 )

Has a 14.5 M4 upper +Phantom  ( 2 inch SHORTER THAN 6920 16+Bird cage)

The LMT M4 uppers ARE HIGHLY ACCURATE

For a Carbine the 16inch M4 barrels are just to long For me

Now I DO LOVE COLTS 6921 Real M4

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:47:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Those are both as good as you can hope to get in a stock rifle.  Both have sexy names, and great machining.  I have LMTs.  Something about they way Colt's used to be assembled freaked me out.  Take down pins that come all the way out?  Big Holes?  I don't remember anymore.

One last thought.  Though I have LMTs, and thier cool and run all day, Colt is still the most prestigious name out there.  I will own one soon myself.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:24:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Either is top notch, but both Colt and LMT stamp their barrels with the twist rate and other info.  That means these are either crap guns being sold as good guns, or you need to rub your peepers and check again.

I've owned Colt and LMT weapons and parts, either is top notch.  IMHO, you couldn't tell the difference quality wise if you pulled the random parts out of a bag with no markings and identical finish shades.  

As stated, the 14.5" LMTs are super accurate (for what they are).
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:35:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Why do you want to have the closest thing to the military?

Do not equate mil-spec to best-spec.

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Why do you want to have the closest thing to the military?

Do not equate mil-spec to best-spec.

Except in this case milspec is best-spec.  I assume you prefer non-standard extension tubes, poorly (or none at all) staked gas keys, no F marked sight base etc.  I see what your saying but in this case these two rifles are head and shoulders above the Bushy's, RRA's etc.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:54:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm not sure what your background is, but I can understand wanting as close to a real M4 as possible, because I carry one, so I like the idea of having as close as a private citizen can have, not just for platform continuity, but because it makes me happy.  

That said, it's gonna have to be your call as to which is closer.  Assuming you mean 16" barrels:

Colt is, of course, the OEM manufacturer for the M4 Carbine, but from front to back:

A Colt barrel will be closer, and will be marked like the USGI part, and the FSB will be "F" marked.  I'm not sure how LMT barrels are marked, but their FSB's, while the same height, are not "F" marked, as LMT only makes them in one size, and doesn't need to distinguish them.  

Colt will also have the OEM side sling swivel, which I believe is not standard on the LMT.  Furthermore, without debating whether or not it's necessary, the Colt will be parked under the FSB where the LMT will not.  

The handguards, obviously, Colt will have the OEM parts, however few M4's I see issued ever have the handguards anyways, most are equipped with a KAC RAS.  

The upper receiver, again, the Colt will be more "correctly" marked, with the M4 above the gas tube hole, as well as the "C" mark next to the forge marking on the upper.  

Rear sights... carry handles will be more or less similar, if you elect for them, but the most prolific sight I've seen issued lately, and at least all around country in Afghanistan is the MATECH, hands down.  

BCG will be OEM Colt.  

Lower receiver, here, I would actually tend with LMT as being closer.  LMT uses the standard mil-spec trigger pins, unlike the oversized pins on the Colt rifles.  Furthermore, IIRC, LMT's can be purchased without the LEO markings (I may be wrong on that...), and the rollmarks on any Colt rifle are different enough, unless you get an MT6400C lower, and possibly not even then.  However, the Colt will again, be a Colt.  However, the "pony" marking is even different than the USGI ones, much bigger and gaudier on Civi rifles.  

As far as the stock goes, the buffer tube supplied by LMT is slightly different, and offered in five or six? positions, rather than the four of the Colt.  Also, the Colt stock will be the USGI part.  

And that's that, however, an LMT is pretty damn close, and from all accounts are excellent rifles.  I'd take heed of what others have said, that milspec usually doesn't matter, and certainly doesn't always mean better.  I hope I answered your question straightforward, though.  

Me personally?  I went with a Colt mixmaster, built out of parts, but all OEM on an MT6400C lower.  And I think my return home present is going to have to be a LE6921, as well.  Otherwise though, you'll have fun with whatever you choose.  

HTH,
~Augee
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top