Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2007 5:52:43 AM EDT
Ok i have this free bolt carrier group and I am about to try and salvage it and I was looking at my AR-15 one cleaning my AR and said to my self that carrier group does not look right compared to this one.  So I pull them out and low and behold they are different.  

The difference is in the Bolt Carriers.  The interal parts are the same.  So is this a AR-10 or M-16 bolt Carrier Group?  Maybe a M249?  

Only thing I cannot add to my AR bolt carrier is the key.  

That is rust I think?

Anybody have an Idea?  

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe that bolt is from the M231. The M16 variant designed to be fired from the Bradley’s firing ports.

www.autoweapons.com/photos06/nov/381port.html
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:26:59 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 it is indeed an m231 bolt group. I worked with Bradley Fighting Vehicles for years, and played with the m231s every chance I got.

It is definatly not a m249 carrier, it is huge with a piston on it, almost like an upside down ak BCG. an ar10 is 308/762, and is larger in size than a ar15 BCG, and the M16 carrier is the same length as your ar15 carrier, but it has a cut out bottom to be fired by a hammer, similar to an ar15. The m231 is striker fired, open bolt, and 3 diff size recoil springs fit into the carrier, to provide a high rate of fire
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#3]
So the question is if can I use the parts minus the bolt carrier in a standard AR?  I have one that just needs a firing pin and a bolt carrier lock.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So the question is if can I use the parts minus the bolt carrier in a standard AR?  I have one that just needs a firing pin and a bolt carrier lock.

I don't see why not.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't see why not.

Won't it hit the gas key against the rear of the receiver? Since it won't be stopped by the buffer....what stops the rearward travel? Could he use a rifle buffer?

nevermind.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Everything EXCEPT the carrier itself “should” be the same. So I don’t see why he couldn’t salvage everything EXCEPT the carrier.

Anyone with M231 experience think differently?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:01:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I believe that bolt is from the M231. The M16 variant designed to be fired from the Bradley’s firing ports.

www.autoweapons.com/photos06/nov/381port.html

that is correct, a M231 FPW bolt carrier. worth a good piece of change
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:02:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Everything EXCEPT the carrier itself “should” be the same. So I don’t see why he couldn’t salvage everything EXCEPT the carrier.

Anyone with M231 experience think differently?

your correct, the bolt itself is the same.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:54:39 AM EDT
[#9]
build a m231 replica
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:22:35 AM EDT
[#10]
You cannot use it with a standard closed bolt AR lower set up.  There is no way for the hammer to hit the firing pin and the carrier will also snag up on the hammer with that notch under the carrier.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You cannot use it with a standard closed bolt AR lower set up.  There is no way for the hammer to hit the firing pin and the carrier will also snag up on the hammer with that notch under the carrier.

Sure, but if you had a RR it might be fun to make some open bolt FCG parts to use with it!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I would suggest you NOT use it, and either keep it or sell it to someone who can build a M231 replica.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:17:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok so who could build a M231 and who needs the parts?  Not too many since they only made 27,000 of them.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:35:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, but if you had a RR it might be fun to make some open bolt FCG parts to use with it!

It will not work with any closed bolt lower.  Wheither the lower is full or semi, it will not work.

The M231 uses its own lower.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top