Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/6/2007 7:44:16 AM EDT
I am getting ready to buy a 308 Supressor and my plan is to buy the Gem-Tech HRT with the Bi-Lock mount.  Now, you may say, WTF, he asked about a 223 barrel... well here is why.

I know that I can get a smaller 5.56 Bi-Lock mounted on a 5.56 upper and safely use a 308 can.  Sure, the can will be really heavy for the caliber but if the good fortune of the lagal status of supressors continues I will add a 223 can after the 308 can.

I am looking for a Mid-Length so that I can go with a thread mounted supressor when I get the 223 can if I decide that is a better choice for me and I want the 1:7 twist to allow me to shoot the 5.56 TAP T2 stash that I spent way too much money on for SHTF.

I am open to advise on what may bet the best options.

I curently have quite a few carbine uppers but my primary setup is a Bushmaster M4A3 with the 1:7-twist  14.5-inc barrel with a pinned and welded phantom.  The crbine also has a KAC FF RAS, EoTech, Surefire, TD grip, etc.  I could have the pahntom cut off my curent setup and have one of the Bi-Lock phantoms welded fast and perhaps that would be the best way to go...

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Sabre!!!

I have three of their 16" midlength barrels.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Another quick question...

I know with the Mid-Length barrels that a Bayonet will mount forward of where the flash hider normally mounts to the barrel (unlike a 20-inch or 14.5 where the ring is over the barrel).

Because I am looking at the Phantom with a Bi-Lock, I am curious if with the Phantom w/ Bi-Lock if a bayonet can still be mounted with the two lugs.  Specifically, does anybody know if the mounting ring of the M9 Bayonet will be forward of the Bi-lock mounts given the forward nature of the Mid-Length barrels?

If it does, I will be sold and I will buy soon!

EDIT TO ADD:

Gem-Tech G5 pic showing the Phantom Bi-Lock:

Note, Gem-Tech has indicated that the HRT w/ Bi-Lock will mount on the 223-Bi-Lock BUT the G5, for obvious safety reasons, will not mount on a HRT Bi-Lock mount.

EDIT 2:

Here is a link with some pics of M9s mounted on Mid-Length uppers...  www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=355.  I am pretty confident that this will work so that if I get a Mid-Length, add the Phantom Bi-Lock, that I will be able to mount my beloved M9s as well as my supressor(s).

Let me have a yard sale to come up with some money for this barrel and I will order soon.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#4]
CMMG has a nice lineup.

www.cmmginc.com
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
CMMG has a nice lineup.

www.cmmginc.com

+1

Whatever you want.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Sabre.
Rainer, PK Firearms, and Talon are all sellers of this fine, fine barrel.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:13:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Denny's Operator.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:17:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:34:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I spent some time looking at my options and I am still planning to buy a supressor but I read some really not so great feedback on the Bi-Lock system with the HRT blowing gas back on the optics of the host weapon.  I am starting again and now I am looking at the AAC 762-SD.

This supressor is also a QD system and I will be able to run it on my AR-10s, FALs, etc, and it is a full auto 308 capable can so obviously full auto 223 would work too.  

These supressors are too expensive to buy and discover I hate it for some reason like gasses burning up a $1k+ optic so I am going to pass up on the HRT.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:29:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Since you're going to suppress this with the HVT, I'd stay away from government profile and go with a medium contour barrel like the CMMG Medcon or the Denny's Operator.  I currently use the Operator with my G5 and the POI shift is minimal.

ETA: On a 16" barrel with optics mounted on the flattop, there is no issue with gas on the optics.  The gas blowback goes about 4" back on the barrel itself.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I spent some time looking at my options and I am still planning to buy a supressor but I read some really not so great feedback on the Bi-Lock system with the HRT blowing gas back on the optics of the host weapon.  I am starting again and now I am looking at the AAC 762-SD.

This supressor is also a QD system and I will be able to run it on my AR-10s, FALs, etc, and it is a full auto 308 capable can so obviously full auto 223 would work too.  

These supressors are too expensive to buy and discover I hate it for some reason like gasses burning up a $1k+ optic so I am going to pass up on the HRT.

delete

Only thing about QD cans is the cost of the FS/QD device.

I see youve already got an answer
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I am sure either the Sabre Defense or CMMG would be a great choice.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:35:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

delete

Only thing about QD cans is the cost of the FS/QD device.

I see youve already got an answer

Yea, I went here for help when I learned of the Bi-Lock issues:

www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14808
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top