Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2007 4:19:51 PM EDT
Why is it now that ammo is expensive. I used to be able to buy a pack of 20 rounds of .223 for less than 4 bucks. Now they're like 9 bucks. Is the military taking up alot of the resources? Meaning is there more demand for rounds because of the war and so the prices have gone up?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, there has been a shortage of brass. So the cost of every round has gone up. Not just .223. I imagine .223 is a bit more because of the "conflict" in Iraq/ Afghanistan. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought it had to do with copper going up on account of strikes in Brazil or wherever at the copper mines?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#3]
You are both right.  The price of brass, copper, and lead have gone up significantly in the past few years.  There are three main reasons for this: U.S. military operations, China buying U.S. metals (mined and scrap), and India buying U.S. metals (mined and scrap).

Just take a look at the commodities market for metals and you can see exactly what is going on.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#5]
double tap
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I think i'm gonna reload my ammo. I've never done it, what equipment do i need? just a press?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#7]
ak47.net/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=9

C'mon dude, you've been here a year and a half!
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think i'm gonna reload my ammo. I've never done it, what equipment do i need? just a press?

The price of ammo is why I started reloading myself.  It is an economy of scale (the more you reload the more you save).  Get yourself a good progressive reloader, scale, caliper, and dyes.  The startup costs are a bit much, but the savings start from the get-go.

I LOVE my Dillon Precision 550B progressive reloader, but I got mine for free because my girlfriend's father had it sitting, unused, in his gun-closet for years.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top