Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2007 8:05:10 AM EDT
Hello all, been looking for a Varmint-style AR for a little bit now and boy, they can get relatively expensive pretty quick.

Found a good deal on a DPMS bull barrel AR15.  By good deal I mean nearly 200 less than a comparable RRA model.

My question is how do these things perform?  I know that they are 1/9 button rifled, but are they accurate?  Are they reliable?  I'm looking at the 20" model, FWIW.

Finally, do they have any kind of special triggers in them?  All of the ads I have seen for them just say "Semi-Auto Trigger Group".  Are they at least better than average?

Thanks in advance,
-Shane

p.s.-What height rings would one want for a scope, medium or high?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump for some help...
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not a big DPMS fan.  They have a reputation of being cheap AR-makers.  Personally, I would rather get something else.  The way I see it: if you are going to be dropping coin on an AR, you might as well hold out and save a bit more to get something really nice.  After buying something that is adequete simply because it is less expensive, you will find yourself wishing you had spent the extra money up front to get what you really want.  Then, you end up selling the one you bought at a loss and paying the extra money anyway for what you wanted in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#3]
A lot of people on this site don't particularly like DPMS.  For the money, they are a decent option, but I would recommend looking at the various DPMS uppers on gunbroker and then adding a BCG and lower of your choice.

This is whom I got mine from.  www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=47232

Here is a pic of the one I "built" or rather assembled

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The first  AR I assembled had  16" Fluted DPMS bull, on one of thier uppers. It was very accurate, around 3/4" 3 shot 100 groups from the bench. But I had to replace the gas ring on the DPMS bolt almost immediately. This was 3 -4 years ago, and they were using Wilson barrels then. I was recently told they now use Montana Rifleman barrels. From what I know these are a good barrel also. This info came from a gunsmith at a DPMS dealer
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 6:11:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to all who replied.  I will have to really think about if the savings is worth it now.  

Do you guys know if the DPMS's come with a 2-stage or other kind of match trigger?  That will be a deal-breaker for me.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top