Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2007 9:31:31 PM EDT
I bought a couple, and the previous owner stated that the packaging had the "NSN" numbers on them, so I assume this means they are Colt, as I am unsure if LMT ever supplied these to the military.  It is definitely one of the two makers, I just can't be sure.  No markings that I can see on the exterior.  Any ideas?  Here's a pic of one of them installed....

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#1]
LMT stocks have the circled "LMT" logo on the adjuster lever.

ETA: right by the metal stud sticking down
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm...no such marking.  Must be Colt.  Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:09:08 PM EDT
[#3]
LMT stock has also checkering on latch, Colt latch is smooth.

MN
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
LMT stock has also checkering on latch, Colt latch is smooth.

MN

Latches are smooth.  Again, must be Colt.  Thanks, guys!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:52:50 AM EDT
[#5]
My RRA adjustable stock has no markings or checkering on the lever...  I would not assume that it's a Colt product by the lack of LMT markings.  Are there any markings on it at all?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My RRA adjustable stock has no markings or checkering on the lever...  I would not assume that it's a Colt product by the lack of LMT markings.  Are there any markings on it at all?

No markings that I can find.  Like I said, the previous owner stated that they came in packages with NSN numbers on them, so that is why I am "assuming" they are Colt.  They fit the milspec tube, and as far as I know, Colt was the only one to supply M4 stocks to the military.  Any of you folks with the Colt stocks have any markings?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Along with the LMT logo markings and latch checkering, the LMT model also has a molded guard in front of the sling swivel like on the commercial stocks.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Could be CMT buttstock
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Definitely not a CMT stock.  Every one of those I have owned, has been of commercial design, even though they fit milspec tubes.  Plus, they were all marked "Stag Arms".  cjk1, yes, mine lacks the molded cover over the front of the sling loop and screw.  Sort of bare looking in that area.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#10]
On a Colt's left hand side you will find 3 little circles in the reccessed area of the stock, one in each corner
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Definitely not a CMT stock.  Every one of those I have owned, has been of commercial design, even though they fit milspec tubes.  Plus, they were all marked "Stag Arms".  cjk1, yes, mine lacks the molded cover over the front of the sling loop and screw.  Sort of bare looking in that area.

The earlier Stag milspec M4 stocks were just like the one you pictured, before they switched to the gay ones
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:42:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The earlier Stag milspec M4 stocks were just like the one you pictured, before they switched to the gay ones

They looked exactly like a Colt, I don't think it has ever been confirmed but they had to be from the same maker, the Colt and old Stag
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Colt on top, old CMT stock bottom - originally posted by team member YardDogOne, see ref. noted thread link below.

The old CMT M4 stock had serrated release lever, Colt have no serrations.

There are other very minor differences like:

Sling loop screw on the Colt is shorter and Colt uses a thread lock compound, CMT have longer sling loop screw that protrudes further to the front.

CMT's ridge towards the top-front of stock has a slightly sharper edge than Colt.

Colt stock is more rounded corner of triangle indentation, CMT stock has a sharper corner.

Ref. Archive Thread Link with Pics
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
pic11.picturetrail.com/VOL366/498052/7287997/94916012.jpg
Colt on top, old CMT stock bottom - originally posted by team member YardDogOne, see ref. noted thread link below.

The old CMT M4 stock had serrated release lever, Colt have no serrations.

There are other very minor differences like:

Sling loop screw on the Colt is shorter and Colt uses a thread lock compound, CMT have longer sling loop screw that protrudes further to the front.

CMT's ridge towards the top-front of stock has a slightly sharper edge than Colt.

Colt stock is more rounded corner of triangle indentation, CMT stock has a sharper corner.

Ref. Archive Thread Link with Pics

wow, cant believe thats still around

here are the COLT vs CMT sling loop screws, Cot uses thread compound

ridge, Colt on right

triangle indentation, CMT in front

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:35:05 PM EDT
[#15]
the earlier LMT stocks didn't have "LMT" markings on them.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow!  Thanks for the info and pics guys!  Reference the old CMT stocks, I had no idea!  I had only seen the newer commercial type stocks from them.  Mine have the smooth latch, the three mold circles on the left hand side, the more rounded tiangular area by the sling loop, and the shorter sling loop screw.  So, all is pointing to them being Colt, with the exception of I'm not seeing any loctite on the sling loop screw.  There is some cosmoline type oil all around them, so I suppose that could be hiding it, if its there.  So, from what you guys are showing me, these are Colt stocks.  Thanks for the help.  I'll try to add some pics here in a bit.....

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 1:08:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Wow!  Thanks for the info and pics guys!  Reference the old CMT stocks, I had no idea!  I had only seen the newer commercial type stocks from them.  Mine have the smooth latch, the three mold circles on the left hand side, the more rounded tiangular area by the sling loop, and the shorter sling loop screw.  So, all is pointing to them being Colt, with the exception of I'm not seeing any loctite on the sling loop screw.  There is some cosmoline type oil all around them, so I suppose that could be hiding it, if its there.  So, from what you guys are showing me, these are Colt stocks.  Thanks for the help.  I'll try to add some pics here in a bit.....

img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/jimbo45/100_0145.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/jimbo45/100_0149.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/jimbo45/100_0151.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/jimbo45/100_0157.jpg

I have had 3 Colt M4 stocks, that I knew were real Colt, one of them had so much loctite that you couldn't tighten down the swivel at all and the others I couldn't tell if there was any loctite on them, you couldn't see it.  So just because you can't see any loctite from those pictures doesn't mean anything, it's definitely a Colt, IMO
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top