Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2007 3:03:02 PM EDT
What number of rounds would you consider changing out a barrel?
I guess i would need to check head space & errosion, where do you get the guauges?
Thanks in advance, Al...
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have to ask, you haven't done enough shooting to wear it out.

You're more likely to ruin one by excessive cleaning than by excessive shooting.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#3]
It is a used Colt sp1 carbine that I had for at least 15yrs and it was old when I bought it. I can say I put at least 10 thousand thru it.
I guess that would be considered shooting it more than cleaning it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
depends on how you shoot. The average AR15 owner  will never need to replace a barrel due  to wear.

I've seen this statement, but there must be a point, even at semi-auto fire, that the barrel usually exhibits the signs that point for replacement. I've seen some people say 5K, some 9.6K, still others saying 20K, and then still more who say that the amount is higher.

I'd be interested in someone with a chrome-lined barrel with semi-auto only giving some kind of statement at the point they replaced the barrel and why.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What number of rounds would you consider changing out a barrel?
I guess i would need to check head space & erosion, where do you get the gauges?
Thanks in advance, Al...

Check Brownells for gages.  A borescope helps too; a high quality one will cost several hundred dollars.

In GENERAL:

For match purposes:
Stainless: 2000 rounds
Chrome moly: 3000 rounds

Chrome lined: upwards of 20,000 rounds, without abuse, and without the chrome flaking.

It really does not matter for just shooting or plinking, full or semi.  It does matter for precision work.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top