Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2006 7:41:52 AM EDT
Hello all. I have an AR-15 that I have been trying to research but so far not much luck. It is a pre-ban HBAR A2. It was made by Eagle Arms (Coal Valley, IL) BEFORE they were purchased by Armalite. It is a complete weapon, not just an upper. The serial number is 10761. I'm curious to find out as much about the rifle as possible including the rifling, whether the chamber is .223 or 5.56, whether the barrel and chamber are chrome-lined.....stuff like that. Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:53:01 AM EDT
[#1]
call Armalite with the serial number, they should tell you if the  barrel and chamber are chrome-lined, IMOP I do not think so.  
also i have one to and love that rifle too.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Eagle arms bought the Armalite name, not the other way around.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I remember these rifles. The barrels were non-chrome lined, 1-9" twist. The front sight bases were also cast, and not forged...if I remember correctly. If assembled at the factory as a complete weapon, they functioned fairly well. If you bought seperate components, the build quality could be very inconsistent.

I have two weapons that I built on pre-Armalite Eagle Arms upper and lower receivers. One is an early M4gery with full carry handle A-2 upper, and the other is an H-BAR. I remember a little difficulty with the fit between the upper and lower on the H-Bar, but not the M4gery. The pivot pin alignment holes were slightly off and after trying numerous manuf. pivot pins, I resorted to lapping the holes with a steel rod an lapping compound until the hole alignment was correct. A real PITA, to say the least. The Eagle Arms lower receiver parts kits were not real consistent in their quality. Most of the parts I ended up using were Bushmaster, including the barrels, which were of better quality  at the time (Bushmaster got a lot better after they secured their first Gov't. contract). Still, the EA based weapons have served me well for the last 13-14 years.

The parts I've used in recent years from RRA and Stag/CMT are superior to those early EA parts, and the fit is also better on several currently made receivers over the EA's (Ameetec, Stag/CMT, RRA, etc.)
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:19:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one.  I purchased it shortly after the assault weapon ban.  It was an EA-15 A2 rifle, complete, with the white stamp on the front of the mag well.  The barrel on mine is a 1:7 chrome lined.  During the dark times of the awb I got the letter from Armalite saying it was sold as a complete rifle in a pre-ban configuration (chrome lined 1:7 barrel, bayonet lug, pistol grip, etc) in case I wanted to put a collapsable stock on it.  

I bought it because it was just like the one I got issued in basic training.  I kept it exactly the same, minus a JARD 4lb non adjustable trigger (I kept the factory trigger in a bag).  I love this rifle.  It shoots very well and I've never had a problem with it.

Look on your barrel in front of the front site base.  It should give you the twist rate and should be stamped 5.56 mm nato or something like that.  I'll have to check mine when I get home.  

I'm not sure but I believe they stopped chrome lining the barrels at some point.  maybe somebody else will have more info.      
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hello all. I have an AR-15 that I have been trying to research but so far not much luck. It is a pre-ban HBAR A2. It was made by Eagle Arms (Coal Valley, IL) BEFORE they were purchased by Armalite. It is a complete weapon, not just an upper. The serial number is 10761. I'm curious to find out as much about the rifle as possible including the rifling, whether the chamber is .223 or 5.56, whether the barrel and chamber are chrome-lined.....stuff like that. Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks

I have a similar rifle, as I recall the serial number is pretty close to yours, but mine is a post-ban.  Mine is 1/9, chromemoly (not chrome plated) bore.  No idea if it's a .223 or 5.56 chamber, as I recall it shot both just fine.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Gad I bought an EA 15E2 in July of 89.  I gave it to one of my son's who has it in Colorado.  It has Match sights and I paid 700 bucks for it.  It has a 1-9 barrel and has held up well.  It doesn't get much work now because since 04 we have purcchased 7 AR's from Colt, Bushmaster, Arms Tech, and Rock River.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top