Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2006 9:47:57 PM EDT
I want to install a new Vltor buffer tube.  Can I use my existing castle nut and spacer?  My current ones are on a NON Mil-Spec buffer tube.  Thanks.

-MEI
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Plus 1
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.

-MEI
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#4]
yes, the castle nut will fit your receiver extention. By spacer do you mean the receiver end plate?
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:43:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
yes, the castle nut will fit your receiver extention. By spacer do you mean the receiver end plate?

Yes sir.

-MEI
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Both will fit.  The threads are the same, it's only the diameter of the non-threaded portion of the extension tube that differs.  VLTOR tubes are four position, if you want a six position check Eaglefirearms.com.  they offer a non-VLTOR six position tube than is cheaper than the VLTOR.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#7]
All the Vltor extensions I have received are 5 position, even from way back when it was a relatively little known company in 2003.
The only 4 position tube I have is from Colt.

I don't see the benefit (only drawbacks) of going with a non-spec extension.  Colt, Vltor, LMT, and Magpul all produce stocks that conform to specs.  Magpul will make a "commercial" (read: non-spec) tube for its CTR stock, but if you want to future proof your investment in the buffer extension, so to speak, the bet is on milspec extensions, all serious stock makers have military applications in mind, if you want to be compatible with future development in carbine stocks, buy once and do it right and get the milspec tubes!
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
All the Vltor extensions I have received are 5 position, even from way back when it was a relatively little known company in 2003.
The only 4 position tube I have is from Colt.

Mine's a 5 pos as well.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
 VLTOR tubes are four position.

VLTOR receiver extentions are five position, I have one one my rifle next to me and I sell them
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#10]
OOPS, my bad.  I just checked my VLTORs and they are all five position.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#11]
you can use a LMT Buffer Tube they have six positions
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I actually prefer the Vltor 5 position tube over any other
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Has anyone been able to install a DD Burnsed loop with this tube on?  I wasn't able to get mine to fit.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 2:21:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Has anyone been able to install a DD Burnsed loop with this tube on?  I wasn't able to get mine to fit.

Yes.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 3:36:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Hrm, well, I was having problems getting the tube to turn on far enough to retain the buffer stop.  It seemed like the tube wasn't threaded enough to allow me to back the castle nut off far enough to align the protrustion on the sling plate with the pocket on the receiver (does that make sense?).  My lower is a Mega so I doubt that hole is out of spec, maybe I got a bad buffer tube?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:27:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Could be a short tube.  Without seeing it I couldn't say for sure.
The extension should just cover the edge of the plunger.  Did you have any probs with a standard end plate?  IIRC, the DD unit is thicker than a standard plate, but it's been a while since I had one on my VLTOR.  I went with a unit that is much thinner.
It could be that you have stacked tolerance issues (slightly shorter extension, slightly thicker plate, slightly off-center hole, slightly short threading all combining in one rifle).
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top