Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2006 8:18:49 PM EDT
alright, its gunshow time now and so its time to go shopping for parts, so far i have a .223 M4 CAR AR15, my first AR 15, basic, has hogue grips on it, going to put an Eotech on it soon. second AR i have is a 223 AR pistol, the third one is a 9mm AR pistol with colt style mag setup.

so now i want to create a few more AR rifles, but i dont know what to build, first thing is that i want it to be on a AR15 lower and not an AR10 lower, and the second part is something that has been industry proven and parts will be available later on in years (IE dont want an oddball that wont be able to fixed in the future). so my thoughts were .22 ar as i just sold my 10/22 to my AR supplier, because i love the AR modular platform and figured a 22 would be nice to have, but i have not seen any setups that really interest me/what im looking for, so now i think 9mm rifle, but i do not know if its worth the money invested IE that 9mm is a pistol caliber. i also was thinking of a 7.62x39/6.5/6.8/.308 for a higher power/long range shooting but i dont know which one is the better setup to go with and that will fit in the AR15 lower as far as rounds and magazines go. the .50bmg upper is out of my price range as i am trying to keep each rifle to the 600-800 range, as i will most likely buy two rifle stripped lowers to be built and one pistol upper to throw in the safe just in case a ban happens in the future.

as far as building them i stick to a KISS principle and dont add much bolt on stuff to to AR15

so can anyone chime in as to what would be a good, practical AR15 for me to build. and i have searched around the board looking at information for different rifle setups
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah - you've only got shorties.

I'd stay well AWAY from the 7.62x39 though.  I have a few rifles (SKS and such) that use it, and the round is a wee bit underpowered, and it's hard to get good quality ammo.  If you want long range, I'd go 7.62x51mm (.308 NATO) like the DPMS .308 series rifles or similar (AR-10).

www.dpmsinc.com/308_series.asp
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not buy a few spare uppers in different lenghts?  That way you could use the rest of the money fixing up the moble home!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#4]
becuase i do not live in a mobile home, or as you call it "moble home" if you are trying to insinuate that i am, in the words of Carlos Mencia "Dee Dee Dee" , i am not

stickman, what is the effective range of the 223 bullet, IE yardage wise

engineer, i am wanting to stay away from the AR10 lower, and i also do have a russian SKS that shoots the 7.62x39 and a russian 91/30 that shoots the x54
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#5]
If you didn't want a 20" M16A2 or A4 clone (I have an M16A2 clone, and really like it), I'd go with a 6.8 SPC.  It fits in the AR-15 "envelope", and offers more power/range than the 5.56.  

If you wanted to stay with a 5.56 rifle, and didn't want to go all the way to a fullsize, I'd suggest a midlength.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#6]
what exactly does the midlength fall under, i dont mind going with a 20 inch barrel but i dont know if its worth going to a 24 inch barrel or not as i am not really familiar with long distance shooting over 100yrds and the ballistics of a 20inch versus 24inch barrel
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:39:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
what exactly does the midlength fall under, i dont mind going with a 20 inch barrel but i dont know if its worth going to a 24 inch barrel or not as i am not really familiar with long distance shooting over 100yrds and the ballistics of a 20inch versus 24inch barrel

The 20" is the standard M16A2 configuration.  The 24" barrels come on "Varmint" rifles, and are usually stainless.  I don't like these.  I'm not into long-range shooting (300+ yds), so my 14.5", 16", and 20" rifles suit me just fine.  

Mid-length rifles have 16" barrels.  It is the gas system that is "mid-length."  It cycles smoother than the carbine length gas system, and wears less on the internal parts.  Most don't care too much about this, but like it for its cosmetic appeal.  It makes the 16" barrel look "right" in proportion to the rifle.  The forearm is longer than the carbine forearm.  

If you really wanted to, you could put a mid-length railed forearm over a low-profile gas block on a carbine length gas rifle, or a rifle-length railed forearm over a low-profile gas block on a mid-length gas rifle.  These have the "hot new look" that EVERYONE is going for in 2006.  Except me.  I like Front Sight Bases rather than flip-sights.  

Good luck!  

PS- For mid-length and other rail options, check out www.CMMGINC.com.  They have all kinds of stuff.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:00:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:55:54 AM EDT
[#9]
can you give me a link to the SP-1 so i can see what it looks like

thanks
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:18:54 AM EDT
[#10]
SBR one of your pistols, add a suppressor
A1 retro build
A2 20" rifle

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#11]
6.8mm, you won't regret it
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:27:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm with Stickman, 20" A4, you can fight the optics vs detachable Carry handle on your own.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:54:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
as far as building them i stick to a KISS principle and dont add much bolt on stuff to to AR15

My new build is going to be KISS....an IDF styled A1/M4 carbine.  
Already have (or on the way) the major parts.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#14]
alright, so a 20-24 inch 223 long range target rifle and a 6.8 rifle are the two to go with all the rifles i have

as for one of the pistols, once i get the $$ up i will SBR it and supressor it

the 223 long range rifle, 20-24 barrel length, what twist do i go for ive seen 1/7,1/8, or 1/9 recomended but dont know which one to go with.. all the ammo would be bought and not reloaded as i am not that involved in shooting, for the stock do i go with a basic A2 stock or like the rifle i have a 6pos M4 stock or does it come down to preference, it will have a harris bipod on the front, for the front a tube guard or mayyyyybe a rail setup if it produces better accuracy over a tube foregrip, for the barrel do i go with SS or basic steel, i did see in search to stay away from chrome lined barrels as they are not as accurate as the previously mentioned, the trigger would be either a worked single stage trigger or a JP trigger, hogue grip, and can i use a stock BCG or go with an aftermarket bolt setup?

as for the 6.8 rifle, what would be the best intended setup, IE 16 carbine for personal defense, or long range rifle?

thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#15]
anyone know if the POF USA gas piston uppers come in a 6.8 ? and is the Vortex flash hider good for the long range rifle?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top