Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 6:49:35 PM EDT
I stay on the AK and handgun sides of this place but I'm considering buy an AR. I'm not sure of the price yet. I know nothing about or very little about them. Who makes junk? Who makes the best ? What is the best for the price? What should I look for? What don't I want? I want all the opions I can get. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Partner just start read these damn never ending posts. Thats what I did wow Ive learned alot. Really it all depends on what you doing with it.
Just wait STICKMAN will post you somthing good in a minute!  He's the man
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Best for the price?  Stag.

RRA, Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS, Armalite.

Generally, you will be told to stay away from Olympic Arms, but you'll have mixed opinions.

You're looking at roughly $800 for a decent rifle.

What are you looking to use it for?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 on Stag its what I have Carbine Flat top $730
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Best for the price?  Stag.

RRA, Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS, Armalite.

Generally, you will be told to stay away from Olympic Arms, but you'll have mixed opinions.

You're looking at roughly $800 for a decent rifle.

What are you looking to use it for?

+1, stay away from Olympic Arms.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yeah that's about what mine came to.

I'm hoping it works.  Gonna go shoot it tomorrow and see if Stag fixed the problem.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm hoping it works.  Gonna go shoot it tomorrow and see if Stag fixed the problem.

what happend?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not meaning to hi-jack the thread and all, but did you convince them to test fire it for you?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not meaning to hi-jack the thread and all, but did you convince them to test fire it for you?

Yeah they said they would do a full report on it and fire many ammo manufacturers.

Within 5 hours of receiving it, it was already back in the mail that same day.  Received it a few days later and it looks like there was absolutely nothing done to it.

It had been shot because I cleaned the bore when I received it and it came out pretty dirty.  The action was heavily lubricated.

But to answer the question above, it was short stroking horribly.  Removed the gas tube and noticed abnormal carbon buildup around the end that goes into the front sight base.

Well, I fucked up the roll pin, and that same rollpin is still in the FSB from when I sent it to them, so obviously they didnt remove the gas tube.  I can tell it's still the same gas tube.

I'm trying to figure out if they replaced the bolt or carrier, or if it was a problem with my lower.

We'll find out tomorrow if it shoots.

Hopefully going to the range with some dude I met online and helped build a Stag basically identical to mine.  That way we can swap lowers and stuff like that to try and diagnose the problem.

Hopefully all will be well.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I read that with a 5.56 you can fire 223. ammo so I'm guessing that would be the best to go with of the two.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I read that with a 5.56 you can fire 223. ammo so I'm guessing that would be the best to go with of the two.

Yes you can, and most ARs are 5.56mm.  Match rifles lean more towards the tighter .223 chamber.

RRA uses the Wylde chamber which is right in between and can also shoot both .223 and 5.56mm.

If i were you, I would just look into a 5.56mm M4gery.  Oh wait, that's what I did do
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I stay on the AK and handgun sides of this place but I'm considering buy an AR. I'm not sure of the price yet. I know nothing about or very little about them. Who makes junk? Who makes the best ? What is the best for the price? What should I look for? What don't I want? I want all the opions I can get. Thanks guys.

Please buy a COLT you will be happy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are we just a little biased?

I really don't know much about them, but I don't like the fact that some parts are Colt specific.

But then again, it is the one and only Colt.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't forget about CMMG, Bravo Co., and Global.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He has to buy ammo too give him a break
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Most AR can shoot .223 and 5.56mm.  I have a bushmaster M4 and loves it. The lower reads cal. .223-5,56mm.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Sorry I really didnt mean a pic STICKMAN just saying you have great info
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#18]
As far as what I'm looking for I'm really not sure. I don't know anyone that has an AR, so i might have to rent one at the range to shoot one. The two rifles I have are a Marlin .30-.30- and a Romy AK47. I want a general purpose AR that will be accurate for target shooting and powerfull enough for home defense.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you are looking at home defense, a carbine is very accurate, and easier to wield indoors.  For the price, you would be hard pressed to beat a Stag carbine.  They are high quality, and have a great reputation.

+1 on the carbine, and Stag as the choice for it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I have built AR's on just about every name brand mentioned above including Olympic arms and have never had any problems other than minor fit and finish. I would have to agree that the Stag and RRA seem to go together with almost ZERO problems. They are fairly priced, very dependable and have a good finish. Of coarse....if you are looking at a long term investment....The only way to go is the COLT. ( I have never lost money on a COLT...period ), The interchangeability on Colt's vary due to Large pin, small pin uppers and FCG's but that is learned pretty quickly. The fit on a COLT, in my opinion, is second to none. Assuming you are interchanging compatible parts,they always seem to fit just right.I will say this....if you ever get started working on AR's...BEWARE...they are addicting as hell.  It is simply amazing at the variations of parts and configurations that are out there ( I think I have tried most of them ). I have a safe full of them and will buy more safes if needed.

m4s4ever
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:30:54 AM EDT
[#22]
If they're as addicting as my Springfield 1911 I'm in trouble.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top