AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:01:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
On a serious note,

.223/5.56 is not eactly all that great on the thin walls of todays modern house hold.  I'd rather not use an AR15 unless I have to.  But if shit hits the fan outside of the home you can bet I will have my AR.  You should plan on your rounds going through your entire house and your neighbors house if you use your AR15

but what round will not go through the thin walls?  18" shotgun with #8 shot ( i know it will still go through but the pellets are small and don't carry much energy, not sure though compared to a xm193 fragmenting through the wall..)  from what i have read after the first wall xm193 starts to fragment and lose a lot of energy as it breaks up.  but a 9mm 124gr +P will still be together for some time.  i may be wrong as this is not tested by me, but it is what i have read....

www.theboxotruth.com

See exactly what various loads do in drywall, clothing, etc.

Matt
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:08:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm sure the AR is effective.

But if you ever did need to use it on a BG, your odds of losing in civil court (when the family of the deceased sues you), just went through the roof.

For in-home defense, use a handgun or shotgun. You'll appear more "sane" to a jury.

Feel free to provide ANY evidence of that urban legend.

I would like some evidence too!

Here in Louisiana your home is your castle and it is your constitutional right to enact deadly force if you feel threatened in your own home!  Unfortunately certain volunteer police officers from New York were not aware of Louisiana laws and unlawfully confiscated guns from law abiding citizens during the Hurricane Katrina aftermath.  

You are going to get sued for him just being in your house - whether it is is the pain and suffering to his eyes from the flashlight you used or the cut he got while breaking your window to get in.  Show evidence where type of LEGAL weapon had an impact on the outcome.

And Pappy - you do what you want.  Please do not come crying to us when they break into your house rape and kill your wife, then kidnap your daughter - and you were not able to talk them into submission.  Also, do not complain how the police were not psychic and there to prevent a crime.  We are not advocating the wanton killing - it is protection for the lives of your family and yourself only.  It is for stopping the threat.  Who cares if he wants my TV - take it - I have insurance.  Spend a day or two riding with the Police and see that evil does exist - even in your "safe" area.

Rant off
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:53:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

So do any folks here train with your AR in the event that the worst takes place and you need to defend you and your loved ones in your home?    

Have you found it easier to move through your house with your AR than with a handgun or other weapon?

No to both questions. The reason is I live in a small house. Perhaps if I lived in a large house with large rooms and long hallways I'd consider a shorty AR but, for now, a 1911 fits the bill.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a shotgun, just rackin the slide will cause the bad guy to automatically release his bowels and passout.

Racking the slide just put a perfectly good round on the floor.

Fine for the movies and TV...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#6]
This was some statistical info that I was able to find of the FBI crimes stats website for the year 2004 (2005 was not completed) on crimes that were reported. The info was with regards to the type of weapon used in a murder, robbery or aggravated assault. The catagory that shows the murder stats is interesting in that the bad guys hardly ever use a rifle in the commission of a murder (which isn't suprising). The tables reflect a per 100,000 U.S. inhabitants.

www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/offenses_reported/offense_tabulations/table_20-22.html

For the complete list of the contents of all tables available for various catagories of crime:

www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/offenses_reported/offense_tabulations/index.html
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Harry Beckwith incident.

Not only an AR but also a S&W76 submachine gun.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
On a serious note,

.223/5.56 is not eactly all that great on the thin walls of todays modern house hold.  I'd rather not use an AR15 unless I have to.  But if shit hits the fan outside of the home you can bet I will have my AR.  You should plan on your rounds going through your entire house and your neighbors house if you use your AR15

but what round will not go through the thin walls?  18" shotgun with #8 shot ( i know it will still go through but the pellets are small and don't carry much energy, not sure though compared to a xm193 fragmenting through the wall..)  from what i have read after the first wall xm193 starts to fragment and lose a lot of energy as it breaks up.  but a 9mm 124gr +P will still be together for some time.  i may be wrong as this is not tested by me, but it is what i have read....

www.theboxotruth.com

See exactly what various loads do in drywall, clothing, etc.

Matt

thanks very interesting, not what i had read before.  i live in a condo so i guess if the shtf and i miss a bg, i might kill my neighbor :(
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Ar 15 s are adequate but you have to be carteful not to shoot through walls.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

AR15s are a little more than "adequate," they are actually premier combat weapons.  More effective than pistols or shotguns.... AGNTSA.

Go shoot drywall with a pistol... a .22, 9mm, .45 and then a shotgun.  The drywall will stop them all.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AR15s are a little more than "adequate," they are actually premier combat weapons.  More effective than pistols or shotguns.... AGNTSA.

Go shoot drywall with a pistol... a .22, 9mm, .45 and then a shotgun.  The drywall will stop them all.

If a .45 can go through 4-5" of pine how will drywall stop it?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

have you looked at the boxotruth website?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I use a shotgun, just rackin the slide will cause the bad guy to automatically release his bowels and passout.

I know I was just messing around.  I don't really think that it was cause someone to loose their bowels and passout.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:19:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quote from rifleman2000,  "Go shoot drywall with a pistol... a .22, 9mm, .45 and then a shotgun. The drywall will stop them all."

A .45 will blast the sh--t out of drywall and leave a mess on the other side.  If a shotgun slug does not penetrate drywall, it's not drywall.  It seems some people are repeating crap they've heard or read in a poser book.  Shoot drywall yourself and then post your results.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I will use the most effective weapons I have to defend my life.  Being sued is secondary to actual survival.  I can work two or three jobs to pay off a lawsuit, if needed.  How many people have come back from the grave?  I'm not saying it shouldn't be a consideration, but it should not be the priority.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Man, I feel like SUPERMAN

I put my shoulder thru the wall but my 45 DID NOT PENETRATE

hooraa

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man, I feel like SUPERMAN

I put my shoulder thru the wall but my 45 DID NOT PENETRATE

hooraa

do you have concealed weapon permit for that shoulder???  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:25:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What about using a M16 on full auto suppressed!?!?!?  Is that an ok home defense weapon too?!?!?!  

Yep.
That'd be a pretty good HD weapon.
I'd be running a 10.5 inch bbl and a M4-2000 can.
1/7 twist bbl, with 77grain Mk262 ammo, for better terminal effectivness.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I can personally think of two incidents where citizens killed an attacker with an AR15. I am sure there are more.

If I got into a shooting tonight, it would be with a rifle, because that is what is handiest at my residence.

If I KNEW that I was going to get in a fight with an intruder, I would put my pistol on my belt, and grab my rifle. Hell, if I hear a noise I go for the rifle first. I am primarily a pistol shooter, but the rifle is a more effective tool, and despite not being as comfortable with it, I shoot better with a rifle than with a pistol, and rifle rounds put more hurt on the bad guy than pistol rounds.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted: rifle rounds put more hurt on the bad guy than pistol rounds.

Don't let Dirty Harry hear you talk like that!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I use an ar15 sbr for home defense,

10.5 lmt upper with g6 vortex, eotech 552, DD forearm rail, surefire light
rra lower with 2 stage trigger and ace socom stock
75 grn hornady tap, two mags, buffertech cinched together....

yes this weapon sits next to my bed, and would be my "go to" if I heard bumps in the night
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top