Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2006 6:42:00 AM EDT
The other night we loaded up 30 magazines of XM193PD and went out to the range for night fire. In about 45 minutes I shot 900 rounds through my DPMS M4A2 (chrome lined 16" AR with carry handle) at the 25 meter range on paper targets and at the 50 meter range at reactive targets (spray cans) and not one malfunction!
We were lighting cigarettes on the gas tube, and you couldn't touch the barrel or the upper part of the reciever near the bolt  during our range time, and it was a good hour before I was comfortable putting the rifle back in its case.
NOT ONE MALFUNCTION. I got home and cleaned it up and went back out the next day to check for accuracy: 1.95" groups at 100m off the bench with 69grn sierras. I absolutely love this gun!
If you want a good AR, and only have about $800 to spend, get the DPMS!
I did notice that trigger reset is more audible now, but it could just be me.
Best,
Steve.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:48:09 AM EDT
[#1]
[sarcasm] but its not a colt, so its crap [/sarcasm]

:-D thats sweet man!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:50:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Glad you had fun.  My DPMS has also been trouble free throughtout the years, and it only costed $675 back in 2003.  I think it was a score.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:59:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm more impressed you managed to get through 900 rounds of XM193PD without a malfunction than I am to hear about the DPMS.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:24:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Excellent!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:26:00 AM EDT
[#5]
squidsix, I see you are in Virginia and I was wondering where you purchased your DPMS?

I was talking to the sales guy at my local shop and he said none of the DPMS rifles had chrome lined barrels.

Now I'm confused.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, guys.
I should add that I had only fired 40 rounds through this rifle before, and only to zero the sights and then test at 100m.
I sat in my living room watching the first season of 24 and sorting through rounds. I had a pile of about 35 that didn't make the cut, and put them into mags just as a "maybe these will be fine" and shot all of them without a single problem. They were pretty corroded, and a couple had small dents in the cases, but they all shot to the point of aim, and you should have seen the pile of brass!
We finished the night with 1911s, and I shot about 500 rounds through my SA Mil Spec without failure as well. (I only have 25 7-round 1911 magazines, so that took a little longer, with two of us reloaded mags for three 1911s while the other guy shot. Grand total for the night was 1700 rounds of 5.56mm, 600 rounds of 9mm, and 500 rounds of .45ACP.
The score? Sailors: 2700.    Spraycans:  0.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:36:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Got this one at A&P Arms on Lishelle Place in VA Beach.
They are a master dealer for DPMS, and this was the only one in stock that had "chrome lined" stamped on the barrel.
I don't think it matters, honestly. The other AR I have is not chromed, and runs just as well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:49:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm more impressed you managed to get through 900 rounds of XM193PD without a malfunction than I am to hear about the DPMS.

+1

DPMS makes a nice rifle, but most people just don't respect it for some reason.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a DPMS Mod-A Carbine....I shot 800 rounds the other week at the range.  I got the rifle on a trade and I wanted to go shoot the hell out of it.....kinda of like a welcoming ritual to my Firearms family.

She kept running.....probably would have kept going to but I ran out of ammo.  I was shooting cheap wolf too btw.  

+1 for DPMS!

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
squidsix, I see you are in Virginia and I was wondering where you purchased your DPMS?

I was talking to the sales guy at my local shop and he said none of the DPMS rifles had chrome lined barrels.

Now I'm confused.

My DPMS does. I bought it new at a gun show in Phoenix back on Feb 25th. Also came with a flat-chromed bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Chrome lined barrels are now an option with DPMS.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

How long has this been going on?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I am not sure but I guess they wanted their fair share of the "go chrome or go home" crowd.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:17:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
[sarcasm] but its not a colt, so its crap [/sarcasm]

:-D thats sweet man!

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:40:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How long has this been going on?

It's been an option for at least a couple years. I've got an email from 3/04 stating that they're available chrome lined for $20 over the "standard" catalog price.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:59:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I shot my RRA 20" excessively (comparitively) for the first time this past weekend.  I put 450 rounds through it with no more than 5-6 minutes rest every half hour for the cease fire at the range.  The heat shields (regular handguards) worked well, but you could see smoke coming from the vent holes (is this bad)?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:39:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm convinced that this rifle will go bang every time. I took it down to parade rest and checked each part over carefully. No damge or noticeable wear on any parts. I'd have paid a lot more for this gun if I knew it was this good. I guess I should shut up now, or the prices will go way up.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:45:46 AM EDT
[#18]

... you could see smoke coming from the vent holes (is this bad)?

Hell no, that's what tells you it's working just right!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Maybe it's because for every piece they make that work just fine, they'll turn out a piece of crap that's not worth squat.

This seems to be a major problem w/their parts and sub assemblies.  Maybe they actually do inspect the complete pieces they ship, but I'm here to tell you that they  DO NOT inspect the lowers, and complete lower assys they ship, much less the small pieces.  

And that's why many folks won't touch DPMS stuff. The only pieces of theirs I'll buy are assemblies and pertsI have seen and inspected; nothing mail order.

Their good stuff is fine. It's the defective crap they allow out the hacks some of us off.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:17:48 AM EDT
[#20]

but I'm here to tell you that they DO NOT inspect the lowers, and complete lower assys they ship, much less the small pieces.

Do you have proof of that?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I dropped my DIAS in my DPMS A3M4 Carbine, along with a Colt M16 bolt carrier and LPK and ran 300+ rounds of Wolf 62 gr. HP through it yesterday and never missed a beat!  Four of those mags were 30 round mag dumps.

I have a Colt 6920, and have trouble telling which is which, except the Colt has a slightly stronger recoil "Snap", whereas the DPMS is more of a push.  Probably different buffers & springs.

I'm buying another DPMS with a 14.5" barrel for my "Auto" gun.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:22:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Update!
I went to the range this morning to shoot some commercial 55gn, and I found only one problem.
The rear sight base seems to be loose.  When lowered all the way to the "down" position, there is some slight play in the sight assembly. I can wiggle it back and forth pretty easily.
Any tips for locking that sucker in a little better?
Thanks
Steve.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#23]
I saw a DPMS at the range awhile back very nice AR?  Also it was a M4 type and very accurate at 100 yards! Fit an finish seems good!  If you can get it cheap go for it!

I paid 800 for my Bushmaster years ago
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Maybe it's because for every piece they make that work just fine, they'll turn out a piece of crap that's not worth squat.

This seems to be a major problem w/their parts and sub assemblies.  Maybe they actually do inspect the complete pieces they ship, but I'm here to tell you that they  DO NOT inspect the lowers, and complete lower assys they ship, much less the small pieces.  

And that's why many folks won't touch DPMS stuff. The only pieces of theirs I'll buy are assemblies and pertsI have seen and inspected; nothing mail order.

Their good stuff is fine. It's the defective crap they allow out the hacks some of us off.

Thats weird... I personally believe that DPMS makes some of the nicest stripped lowers you can buy. Alot of people wont touch it for some reason but their finish is superb and everything fits into spec.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top