User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Who makes CMMG barrels and what quality steel are they?Are there bolts and carriers DPMS?

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Who makes CMMG barrels and what quality steel are they?Are there bolts and carriers DPMS?

Just like Bushmaster
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I thought CMT made RRA's receivers?

It's possible, but the RRA receivers I bought were of much better fit and quality than the CMT/Stag receivers.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Who makes CMMG barrels and what quality steel are they?
Are there bolts and carriers DPMS?

There barrel steel is 4150

I donn't beileve there BCG is DPMS because it is the enhanced carrier with the suraded firing pin.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
people are always talking about how great RRA's fit and finish is, how does CMMG compare in that respect?

It depends on who makes their upper/lower receivers and parts. I've tried CMT/Stag and the overall fit/quality isn't as good as RRA.

So which companies make their uppers/lowers? Just CMT/Stag?...........

anyone know?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
They make their own barrels.

They do?

In the same capacity as Bushmaster IIRC

The manufacturer of their barrels used to post here, though I cannot remember the name. I would be surprised to find out that they had invested in the tooling to make barrels in house.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
They make their own barrels.

They do?

In the same capacity as Bushmaster IIRC

The manufacturer of their barrels used to post here, though I cannot remember the name. I would be surprised to find out that they had invested in the tooling to make barrels in house.

I believe they buy the blanks, camber and profile them, send them out to be cromed and they park them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#9]
They are expanding their shop quite abit though so they might start doing even more of their own work
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:54:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I donn't beileve there BCG is DPMS because it is the enhanced carrier with the suraded firing pin.

Just got my first CMMG upper.  The BC is definitley not DPMS. Firing pin is shrouded.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:11:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just got my first CMMG upper.  The BC is definitley not DPMS. Firing pin is shrouded.

I believe CMMG uses CMT BCG's. Is there what looks like a line going across the bolts holding the key in??
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:15:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not all 4150 is the same though. There are different grades or tiers if you will. The military has a standard for 4150 (MIL-B-11595E). For more info on the subject: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=138&t=148891

At this point and time, I think only 2 companies use the mil-standard for 4150. They are FN, and BCM.

Edited to update guestimate that Colt barrels followed the Mil specification for 4150.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:23:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe CMMG uses CMT BCG's. Is there what looks like a line going across the bolts holding the key in??

You mean the improperly staked gas key screws? If so, that's probably a CMT/Stag BCG. That said, I don't know of many people that had to re-stake their CMTs, but RRA and Colt do it differently, as does Bushmaster IIRC. I do not know about DPMS, but Tweak's thread covered a variety of different staking methods. CMT's staking method was an example of what not to do.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:27:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, It seems very deep.  Too deep if you ask me.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:42:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, It seems very deep.  Too deep if you ask me.

Then you have a CMT BCG. These are not staked correctly. I would suggest that you get it staked as soon as possible.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:52:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not all 4150 is the same though. There are different grades or tiers if you will. The military has a standard for 4150 (MIL-B-11595E). For more info on the subject: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=138&t=148891

At this point and time, I think only 3 companies use the mil-standard for 4150. They are FN, Colt and BCM.

LMT and Sabre Defence use CMV for their barrels which are MIL-B-11595E spec as shown in Bravo Company's post that you linked to.  

BTW, the post by Bravo Company also indicates that a Colt barrel was tested and found to be CMV not ORD4150.

ETA:  BCM is also using CMV not ORD4150.  See here ->www.bravocompanyusa.com/AboutBCM.html.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:42:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

At this point and time, I think only 3 companies use the mil-standard for 4150. They are FN, Colt and BCM.

LMT and Sabre Defence use CMV for their barrels which are MIL-B-11595E spec as shown in Bravo Company's post that you linked to.  

BTW, the post by Bravo Company also indicates that a Colt barrel was tested and found to be CMV not ORD4150.

I would have to see some proof that LMT and Sabre do (as I have heard other wise).  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:35:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I would have to see some proof that LMT and Sabre do (as I have heard other wise).  

See the link below for Sabre's catalog in PDF format.  It states that their non-stanless barrels are MIL-B-11595 Vanadium Alloy which is basically CMV as per the spec sheet.

www.sabredefence.com/SDI_2006_retail_1st_edition_Catalog_FINAL.pdf

More details on the Sabre barrels on the thread below.

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=235033&page=7

Here's the markings on my Talon Arms/Sabre Defence chrome lined, 16", 1-7, mid-length barrel.

I've seen mention of the LMT using CMV many times here and other places.  Let me do some checking and I will post back here.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean the improperly staked gas key screws? If so, that's probably a CMT/Stag BCG. That said, I don't know of many people that had to re-stake their CMTs, but RRA and Colt do it differently, as does Bushmaster IIRC. I do not know about DPMS, but Tweak's thread covered a variety of different staking methods. CMT's staking method was an example of what not to do.

Did a search and couldn't find Tweaks thread.  Can anyone provide a link?

Is this a different way of staking it or just "not like so and so"

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone out there actually shot their key loose when staked like this??
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Anyone out there actually shot their key loose when staked like this??

Yes. Take an allen wrench and move the screw (is easy to do). Vibration is a son of a bitch and will back out anything that is not staked and or loctited.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top