Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 5:47:36 PM EDT
I laid down the dollars today for this and his new flat CS spring, and also "new & uncataloged as yet" cs springs for the extractor and ejector.  After as much research and mental masturbation I finally came to the decision that this system will give me the most versitility in the AR system rifles I shoot.  Heavy bullets in the .223 and heavies in the 7.62 X 39... bet some of you hadn't thought of that posibility!  Any experiences you might like to share along these lines?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I had thought about getting that spring and carrier weight setup but was told that the weight sticks out  rear of the carrier a bit, requiring popping both front and rear pins and lifting the upper off the lower.  In other words, no just popping the rear pin and pivoting the lower down.  The only remedy is to machine a step in the rear of the carrier to allow the weight to be completely enclosed within the carrier.  So I decided I really didn't need  that.  If you find different when you get your weight please let me  know and I'll reconsider getting one myself.

Cheers,

Phil
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Love the CS recoil spring...thanks for the info on the new bolt springs.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I had thought about getting that spring and carrier weight setup but was told that the weight sticks out  rear of the carrier a bit, requiring popping both front and rear pins and lifting the upper off the lower.  In other words, no just popping the rear pin and pivoting the lower down.  The only remedy is to machine a step in the rear of the carrier to allow the weight to be completely enclosed within the carrier.  So I decided I really didn't need  that.  If you find different when you get your weight please let me  know and I'll reconsider getting one myself.

This is true.  For some it doesn't matter, and remember that they were originally developed for HP competitors, so quick "pop open" isn't as big an issue.  If you want the delayed unlocking, why not just use a heavy buffer?  The CS springs are nice.  Though you may miss the "sprong" noise.

It's interesting that John Paul advocates lightweight carriers JP Enterprises and Tubbs heavy.  JP leans toward 3Gun: lightweight, compensated, etc.  Tubbs toward HP.  

JP's point is to lower the reciprocating mass and Tubbs' idea is to "lengthen" the recoil impulse by slightly delaying bolt unlocking.  I do have to say that each is an acknowledged leader in their field.  

I'm not sure I get the "heavy" bullet connection of the OP, though, unless it's to keep the bolt closed the short bit longer to allow more of the expanding gas to drive the bullet, and not pass out the now open throat when the bold unlocks.

"Props", do you shoot at Fall Creek??
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:03:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi 200-10x,

Never shot at Fall Creek although I hear its a nice facility.  About the only range still open that I used to shoot at is Atterbury.  Shot a ton of tournaments there.  I live west of Fort Wayne, shoot at Wabash a lot.  I take it you live south?  Do you remember the old Frankfort range?

Cheers,

Phil
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:33:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'm not sure I get the "heavy" bullet connection of the OP, though, unless it's to keep the bolt closed the short bit longer to allow more of the expanding gas to drive the bullet, and not pass out the now open throat when the bold unlocks.

Heavy bullets are loaded with slower powders.  This results in the cases staying expanded against chamber walls for a little longer and for higher port pressures.  By adding weight, you keep things locked up a tad longer which allows time for pressures to subside and cases to contract a bit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Gentlemen thanks for the replies.  Jmart, that's the way it is explained to me.  It would seem that to have reliable functioning, a running weapon,  that there is a sort of window of time, pressure, velocity and motion which has to be operated within.  One of my 7.62 X 39 loads is with a Sierra 155 Palma and it would greatly benefit from that slight delay on opening.  It's a whole new AR!
Again thanks for the replies.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top