Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 3:26:29 PM EDT
have a preban a2 bushy with a 14.5 barrel with a permenently attached ak brake. looking for opinion/sugestions on barrel recomendations. i like the 16 inch barrel, it's a toss up between an m4 or superlight barrel. not sure on buying just barrel and self installing or getting complete upper with a3. or even going with a different manufactuer all together. live behind enemy lines, soo i paid a lot for rifle to begin with. thanks  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#2]
M4.
The superlight midlength EOTech only crowd should be here pretty soon! Just make sure you get what you want and not what every one else tells you to get.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#3]
looking for pros and cons between the two barrels and various manufactures, as well as personal experiences
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I love the superlite barrel.  I sold my LE6520 to get a LE6920, just because the A3 upper.  Otherwise I would have gone back to the Lightweight barrel.  Sooner or later I might get a 14 inch lightweight barrel and a vortex or a phontom.  If you already have a A2 upper go for the Lightweight barrel.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the Superlite to any other.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:27:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
M4.
 Just make sure you get what you want and not what every one else tells you to get.

M4
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Superlight is easier to carry, points faster too.

The M4 barrel helps keep the muzzle down a bit better on rapid shots.

If you choose the M4 I recommend going light under the handguards.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#8]
who are some of the top dogs as far as barrel manufacters ?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Get the Superlight

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
looking for pros and cons between the two barrels and various manufactures, as well as personal experiences

I had the same setup that you do (Shorty AK). I sent the upper back to Bushy and had them put a 16" superlight barrel on it. It is a light, quick handling carbine. I just love it. Really glad I did it. I have two other flattops w/M4 bbls w/perm Phantoms that are great as well. I'm thinking that my next flattop will be a superlight, either a 16" or a 14.5 w/perm Phantom...

Can't really come up with any cons as I really like both configurations alot. They are sooo much lighter and better balanced than my HBAR's...

Hope this helps!

ETA: Get Both!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#11]
sphillips, what light/mount is that?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#12]
My Superlight kicks ass for ease of handling and obviously being light.

I really don't know what the M4 is for.  Heavy in front with a thin section towards the receiver to droop more during an insane amount of sustained fire?  Getting a grenade launcher anytime soon?  Me neither.  (Note that I am not suggesting the cutout for the GL would shorten time to failure, I am saying that a heavy section supported by a thin section (the section under the handguards) doesn't make sense to me.  So the only draw is the GL cutout and I don't see how that's a draw).

My HBAR is heavy but at least I understand that it has advantages.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#13]
They did a test to see how long the M4 would last versus the M16 barrel (or was it another M4 barrel w/o the grenade launcher cut).  I think they found the M4 barrel w/ the cut lasted longer, or basically that grenade launcher "cut" did not have a negative effect on the barrel longevity.

Bushmaster's superlight carbine weighs 6.52 lb empty. My 16" M4 setup weighs 6.96 lb empty.

Ask yourself if you really need to save that 0.5 lb going with the superlight. IMHO the Superlight is probably the best way to go if you want to load up on accessories. I preferred the M4 profile since it has worked successfully in the military for years.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#14]
superlight
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
They did a test to see how long the M4 would last versus the M16 barrel.  I think they found the M4 barrel lasted longer, or basically that grenade launcher "cut" did not have a negative effect on the barrel longevity.

Bushmaster's superlight carbine weighs 6.52 lb empty. My 16" M4 setup weighs 6.96 lb empty.

Ask yourself if you really need to save that 0.5 lb going with the superlight. IMHO the Superlight is probably the best way to go if you want to load up on accessories. I preferred the M4 profile since it has worked successfully in the military for years.

The Rock Island's Engineering Directorate "Fire to Destruction" report.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top