Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/12/2006 12:13:56 AM EDT
I have an older 3-10.5 Leupold VariX III that has no use, so I got one of Armalites one piece monts and stuck it on top of my 16in carbine to  better dispatch of some crows. This wont be a permanent thing as I have a 512 Eo that usually sits in place of the scope.

Question is this: Most of the shots will be within 150 yards, if that. Im pretty open to bullet weight, I have about 100 or so Federal Premium 69gr laying around, along with a fairly large assortment of every thing you can think of from Wolf, Winchester, and 193s so whatever you think is best for popping crows at this range,im all ears, lastly, Considering I use the 69gr Federals, what range should I sight in for that will allow for the least ammount of compinsation should the crow be inside/outside of 150 or so yards? Lastly, we are not talking about a $5000 custom setup here, its a box stock 16in Bushmaster  patrolmans carbine. Granted not the absoulte best tool for this platform, but its what I got.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:59:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I sighted my RRA at 50yards...

150yds and 200yds... it should cross over to POA

It worked for me anyway.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I sighted my RRA at 50yards...

150yds and 200yds... it should cross over to POA

It worked for me anyway.

In general, that's the ticket.  The idea is that the bullet is moving UP from the exit point and crossing your line of sight at 50yrds, arching, and then crossing again at approx 200 yards on it's way down.  The total deviation is small, a few inches (don't have the true number or my ballistic program running now).  This is though of as "Battlefield Zero", because that small amount will still be within a reasonable range for engaging a man.  

Two inches off, on a crow however, is a miss.  I'd start with that, and then spend some range time at various distances so that you know.

ETA:  I'd think about something lighter and faster for crows....   flatter shooting will reduce the "arch" in the ranges that you're talking about.  Something in the 45 gr neighborhood.

Also, remember that your POI will change with ammo.  So you should settle on something and stick with it when using your scope to hunt with.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Winchester white box 45grain at 3600 should be a fine crow round. Hornady Handbook VolII says a 45 grain bullet at 3600 sighted in at 50 yards will be +.7" at 100 yards and -.8" at 200 yards which give POA to 200. That should work fine.

ODG
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Winchester white box 45grain at 3600 should be a fine crow round. Hornady Handbook VolII says a 45 grain bullet at 3600 sighted in at 50 yards will be +.7" at 100 yards and -.8" at 200 yards which give POA to 200. That should work fine.

ODG

Excellent, thanks guys.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top