Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 1:29:48 AM EDT
Is this accessory necessary for left-handed shooters?

I'm sure there are plenty of left-handed shooters that do fine without them, but are they still worth it?

What are the drawbacks of not having one?

Are they usually quality parts or are they problematic?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:48:37 AM EDT
[#1]
The norgon ambi catch is an excellent addition to any AR. You probably dont need it but its very handy and quality/durability is superb.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:02:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The norgon ambi catch is an excellent addition to any AR. You probably dont need it but its very handy and quality/durability is superb.

I agree. It does make it nice to release a mag with your left hand, and it is very well made and works exactly as advertised.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:26:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Simple and effective, it does get in the way of the bolt hold open though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:31:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Norgon ambi-catch on my SAM/R and to be honest, I got it just because it is correct for a SAM/R. I haven't used it yet, due to my military (grunt) and L/E background it's just instinctive that I hit the normal mag catch.
My brother who is a lefty- is also of a military background (also grunt) and never uses it either. He's just accustomed to hitting the normal mag catch as well.

Obviously this is a training issue more than anything else and I suppose someone new to AR's or one who includes hitting the Norgon into their training may benefit from it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Simple and effective, it does get in the way of the bolt hold open though.

????

It does not change the profile at all.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#6]
If you pull the charging handle back and manually lock it, the location of the ambi release is close enough, you'd have a hard time doing it without looking because you're probably pressing on the mag release itself.

In the pic below, you can see that the serrated portion of the ambi release is right below the manual bolt hold open "nipple".
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you pull the charging handle back and manually lock it, the location of the ambi release is close enough, you'd have a hard time doing it without looking because you're probably pressing on the mag release itself.

In the pic below, you can see that the serrated portion of the ambi release is right below the manual bolt hold open "nipple".
home.earthlink.net/~whitman/dirtymrp2.JPG

I've had this set up for a long time and never had a problem at all. When you are locking the bolt back you are further forward on the mag catch and don't tend to engage it plus if your right hand is anchored properly during this excercise, this fine motor skill is much less difficult or sketchy!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is this accessory necessary for left-handed shooters? Not overly IMHO.

I'm sure there are plenty of left-handed shooters that do fine without them, but are they still worth it?IMHO, yes... And no.  It adds a left handed friendly feature & the appearance of the Norgon Ambi-catch gives it a "belongs there" look.

What are the drawbacks of not having one?  I don't feel that the lack of an ambi-catch is detrimental to a lefty operating an AR.  For years and years I went without.  In fact, using the right hand mag release button, it's easier to perform a tactical reload.  The problem I've run into, having multiple ARs, is that I only have one ambi-catch among the "several" ARs I own.  My primary AR has the Norgon and I began training myself to use my trigger finger to release the magazine.  But one day @ the range, I grabbed one of my other ARs and ran through a rifle side-stage at a USPSA shoot.  When it came time to reload, my trigger finger went to release the magazine while my support hand grabbed a spare magazine... After several attempts to hit the mag release, I literally had to turn the weapon in my hand to see where the mag release button was, only then did the realization set in that this particular AR didn't have a mag release button on the left side of the weapon.  Embarrasing in a game, fatal in a firefight.

Are they usually quality parts or are they problematic? The Norgon is absolutely a quality piece and I've had no problems w/ mine.

The only advise I can further offer is that if you are planning on getting an ambi-catch, ensure any AR you use is similarly equipped.  Your muscle memory, while usually a blessing, can prove a curse when the chips are down.  Having had the Norgon Ambi-catch for several years now, I'm still in the "research" phase... I haven't decided whether to revert back to using the RH equipment as standard, or switch out all of my ARs to ambi.  It's puzzlingly simple, yet oh so baffling to me...  Looking on the bright side, I'll save a bunch of cash if I don't add the NAC to all of my ARs.

Sly

This post was edited for multiple contradictions, spelling & grammatical errors.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#9]
So it couldn't really hurt?  I will go ahead and get it, but  not anytime soon.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#10]
It lets you drop your mags one-handed.  If that matters to you, get one.  If not, then it's a waste of $90.

Having said that, I'm left handed, and I spend that $90 every time I get a new lower (well, plus $29 for the ambi safety).  If it would fit in an AR10, I'd have one in that too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Try running your right hand on the magwell.  As the press the release with your thumb, rip the mag out and slide in a fresh one.  This works on all M4s.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Try running your right hand on the magwell.  As the press the release with your thumb, rip the mag out and slide in a fresh one.  This works on all M4s.

When I run with my right hand on the front of the magwell, my thumb keeps finding it's way ridiculously close to the ejection port, and gets thumped every now and again with an ejecting case!
It's very convenient too that I can drop a mag from either side of the rifle with either hand.  Helps out a lot at the range when my son is shooting my AR.  Right handed folks like it too that they can eject the mag with their thumb while holding onto the mag.  It's just darned convenient.  

But thank you for taking the time to pass along the suggestion!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top