Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 6:38:43 PM EDT
I want to know what break in procedure you used when you got your rifle. I checked the bushie site and have read what they say(which varies from spot to spot) but I wanna know what you guys used and how well it has worked for you. My varminter barrel will be here tomorrow, and I wanna get her broke in as soon as possible. Also what ammo did you use to do the break in. Thanks all.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#1]
PSE,
    The bore of the Bushy Varminter barrels is pretty rough as compared to a Krieger barrel. But don't get me wrong, my Varminter shoots extremely well out to 600yds. I used the same breakin for the Bushy as I did for the Krieger. Rather than describe it here, just go to the Krieger website below. Bushy barrel took about 60 rounds to break in. Krieger barrel shot well from the start.
http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/RapidCat/catalog/pagetemplate.cfm?template=/RapidCat/common/viewPage.cfm&PageId=2558&CompanyId=1246
                                                               HTH & have fun!
                                                                Carey
Edit: I used Winchester White Box(WWB) for breakin. It is not very accurate, but it burns pretty clean so breakin is easier. The 1X9 Varminter barrel does very well with bullets up to and including 69 gr. Mine shot 69 gr. Sierra HPs best, but 55 gr. Nosler BTs were a very close second. Remember to care for the Varminter barrel properly as it is not chrome lined.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:13:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your intel leid, I'll read over that procedure. I also have a few boxes of wnchester white box ammo to break it in with.  I will probably be shooting 55gr winchester ballistic silver tips locally but I think im gonna find somthing a little cheaper to shoot when I go out to South Dakota for p-dogs this summer.

ETA... What cleaner did you find to work the best. I have CLP but should I look into getting some sort of copper cutting solvent. This is my first tack driving type rifle, so I'm a little worried about screwing somthing up.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:01:45 AM EDT
[#3]
    I like regular Shooter's Choice & Sweets 7.62. Shooters Choice is an all around cleaner and will get after copper, lead, and fouling. The Sweets7.62 is by far the more aggressive of the 2 on copper fouling. It is ammonia based so only leave it in the bore for about 20 minutes or so. Don't use Sweet's with a brass brush as it will destroy the brush in short order. Just put it on a patch or a nylon brush. Any copper fouling in the rifling will show blue-green on the patch in seconds. The Sweet's will let you know when the bore is totally free of copper fouling. You must clean the bore down to bare metal during break in after each shot initially, then after each string of shots later on.
    CLP is good stuff on ARs, but it will not remove copper fouling from the bore.
                                                                  Good luck with it,
                                                                   Carey

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top