Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 11:35:59 AM EDT
Thinking about buying a local RRA single stage lower locally for  $249 and ordering an upper but wanted to ask which trigger is better for practical shooting events & three gun matches.

Should I spring for a 2-stage NM trigger or is a single stage trigger better for rapid fire matches like 3Gun courses?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Within the limits of practical accuracy, a single stage will not allow you to shoot faster than a 2 stage.

A 2 stage gives you the option of precise trigger control for longer shots, or pulling right through both stages for quick shooting.  A single stage can't do that.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:27:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a single stage trigger and set the pull weight at 3lbs.  The reset is shorter and you can still get your finger on the trigger for a precise shot without having the rifle fire prematurely.

VSP
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:45:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a JP in my IPSC gun and a Jewell in my CMP Service Rifle. The JP breaks at 2.75 lbs and I have the Jewell set at the CMP specified 4.5 lbs. I actually like the Jewell better but not enough to get rid of the JP. If I was doing it again I'd go with the Jewell as you can adjust it anyway you could possible want it. I had mine to the point where you could not detect the first stage and it was really light and crisp, or you can set it up like I have it a short 4 lb first stage and a 1.5 lb second stage.
They both work.

As always, YMMV.

Bill
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#4]
people do well with both.  personal preference.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a single stage set to the same weight as my 1911, for me it makes the transition back and forth easier
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:58:24 AM EDT
[#6]
For IPSC Rifle, I use a single stage JP or Accuracy Speaks. I very much prefer single stage triggers for IPSC and two stage triggers for long range work, but it all comes down to personal preference.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:34:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Get a single stage trigger and set the pull weight at 3lbs.  The reset is shorter and you can still get your finger on the trigger for a precise shot without having the rifle fire prematurely.

VSP

+1
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:40:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Can the stock single stage RRA trigger be lightened to the 3.5# mark?

If so, Is this something I can tune or strictly gunsmith work?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:46:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Can the stock single stage RRA trigger be lightened to the 3.5# mark?

If so, Is this something I can tune or strictly gunsmith work?

You can install a set of JP yellow RP springs.  You may have trouble with light primer strikes depending on the ammunition your using, but that can be remedied by lightening the hammer.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top