User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2006 6:31:59 PM EDT
Good or bad.

Does quality compare to Bushmaster or Colt?

I like the idea of the 15 L, and I'm starting to gather some info.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Stag lower, well actualy I have two if you count my Global Tactical lower that is made by Stag and I would have to say that the quality is excellent.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Lots of experience.  They are my prefered company...tied with CMMG.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Great stuff.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Stag A2 upper.

It's a better color match to my Colt lower, than the original Colt upper I had.

Oh yeah, quality is great. They even smoothed out the "forging marks"? inside of the carry handle.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 for stag they are top shelf
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I purchased two stag lowers this weekend. High quality lowers. Highly recommended!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a CMT lower and  a Global Tactical lower both made by Stag. All as said above.
Fit, color  and looks are all number one.
Stag has the big stag deer head on it  and GTS does not.

globaltactical.com
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Good stuff, Maynard...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I just wrote this for a friend who live here in Colorado and had planned on getting a Colt LE6920 once he got back from Iraq:

I've got 3 Colt LE6920's and I paid around $950 each for plus $100 to have Ken Elmore at S.A.W. do his reliablity upgrade on a each gun.

CMT is Contentinal Machine and Tool (not to be confused with LMT Lewis Machine and Tool). CMT and Stag Arms are the SAME COMPANY. CMT / Stag is the sub-contractor who makes Colt's uppers, lowers, etc, and they also make the same parts for Rock River Arms.

I had heard a lot of good things about CMT / Stag and have had the chance to check out quite a few of their guns recently. I am very impressed with the fit, finish, qulaity, and features on the Stag Arms guns.

When comparing my Colt LE6920's to factory Stag Arms M4's here are the only difference I noted:

-Stag has a 1/9" twist barrel, the Colt a 1/7" (but both have the Colt M4 feed ramps). Barrel twist is a non issue as most of us shoot 55 grain to 62 grain ammo 99% of the time.

-The Stag finish was about 1 shade darker, you had to look had at both and be in direct sunlight to tell the difference.

-The Stag has a Colt mil-spec buffer tube, but has 6 positions instead of the 4 on the Colt buffer tube....Because Stag makes Colt's buffer tubes, they are the same spec....Both Vltor and LMT SOPMOD stocks will fit perfectly on the Stag tube.

-The Stag handguard only had 1 heat shiled.

-The Stag has a M16 style bolt carrier that covers the firing pin. The Colt has Colt's nuetered bolt carrier group. I prefer Stag's bolt carrier group.

If you got to http://www.stagarms.com they only offer 3 different carbines and 1 20" flat top AR15A3. On Stag's website the guns start off at $900 and go up. NONE of Stag's dealers (that I could find) carry COMPLETE Rifle / Carbines. BUT many of the dealers carry COMPLETE UPPERS and COMPLETE LOWERS (you just have to put the upper on the lower and close the pins).

http://www.eaglefirearms.net in Brighton, CO. carries the COMPLETE Carbine lower for $215 and the COMPLETE M4 upper (no carry handle) for $429. That is $644 (plus tax, shipping, and transfer fee....still under $700) for a COMPLETE M4 carbine, that is pretty much the same thing as the Colt LE6920. Excluding tax, shipping, transfer fee, you can buy 2 Stag M4's for the price of the average LE6920 (average civilian price on a Colt 6920 is $1250 to $1350).

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Great products and great service.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one of their upper recievers.  No problems at all.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks everyone for replies. Just what I wanted to hear. They sound top of the line.

Special thanks to USMC03 for the great detail. I'll have to check out that Eagle firearms .net for pricing on the left hand models. I guess I'll have to find a FFL to accept it, or regular gun dealer. Never done this before. Will probably get alot of "kiss off" or "buy what I have".
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:23:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Top Notch best Quality stuff on the Market
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:14:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I am very happy with mine.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:42:30 AM EDT
[#15]
STAG barrels are made with 4140 steel. This will probably not make a diference unless you are running full auto.

Colt also does a number of QC checks on all of their components. One of the Colt experts will be able to tell you more.

I personally purchased a complete stag lower from eaglefirearms in Co. for $238, including shipping.  The service was good and straightforward. Call them if you have any questions.

There are other dealers in the EE who are selling for $220 shipped.

The only problem I have had is that the STAG trigger is not very smooth. However, the fit and finish is otherwise perfect.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Indulge me one more question on Stag Arms rifles. How does the color match up against other rifles? I saw where someone wrote that its color was darker than a Colt.

I might be putting it on a Bushmaster lower. Will the Stag upper stick out like a sore thumb?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Good stuff, Maynard...

?

Anyways, my gun is a CMT upper, Stag lower, and CMT Bolt carrier/c.handle (all stag technically) and I could not be happier for a first AR! Fit is VERY tight and precise. I dropped about 400 rounds through it with no problems over the weekend.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Indulge me one more question on Stag Arms rifles. How does the color match up against other rifles? I saw where someone wrote that its color was darker than a Colt.

I might be putting it on a Bushmaster lower. Will the Stag upper stick out like a sore thumb?

Thanks again.

I think the BM color is variable,  so that is hard to predict. If you put oil on the BM, you will darken it to a good match.   My Stag lowers have coloring very similar to my Colt upper if that is any help.  The quality of  the finish seems better than the RRA lower.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#19]
The Stag lowers are a different color then the Colt lowers. They have to be to fit the non-compete thing Stag has with Colt. They match my Bushmaster stuff well. I took a surplus A1 upper, shot it with Norrel's flat black and it matches the Stag lower.

Everything Stag sells is slightly different then Colt, Colt requires them to do it that way. Stag just updated the design of the M4 style stock to accomodate that requirement. That being said the new one is probably better.

Fit, finish, and function are on par with Colt since they are essentially the same parts.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:30:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Thanks again.

It's funny. We are talking about shades of dark. I put a Stag upper on a Mega lower, and they match. I put a Del-Ton upper  on a Stag lower and they match pretty well. You have to look really hard to see differences in shades of black.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#21]
So far I'm very happy with the Stag that I bought from Eagle. I bought the lower last fall for $215, and the upper, a 16" M4-profile, a few weeks ago for $440. The finish is black, as opposed to the more gray finish of my Colts. I put the upper from my 6520 on the lower just to see what it looked like and I did not like the look simply because of the non-matching finishes. Also, my Stag upper does not have M4 feedramps. So far it hasn't malfunctioned at all through 200 rounds of XM855PD and WWB 55 grain FMJs. I'm anxious to try some 75 grain Hornadys to see how they perform in that weapon.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Does STAG/CMT make their own carry handles also?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks again.

It's funny. We are talking about shades of dark. I put a Stag upper on a Mega lower, and they match. I put a Del-Ton upper  on a Stag lower and they match pretty well. You have to look really hard to see differences in shades of black.

Doesn't Del-Ton deal with CMT uppers for the most part which would explain the good match you have with your Stag lower and Del-Ton upper?

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
So far I'm very happy with the Stag that I bought from Eagle. I bought the lower last fall for $215, and the upper, a 16" M4-profile, a few weeks ago for $440. The finish is black, as opposed to the more gray finish of my Colts. I put the upper from my 6520 on the lower just to see what it looked like and I did not like the look simply because of the non-matching finishes. Also, my Stag upper does not have M4 feedramps. So far it hasn't malfunctioned at all through 200 rounds of XM855PD and WWB 55 grain FMJs. I'm anxious to try some 75 grain Hornadys to see how they perform in that weapon.

No M4 feedramps on the 16" M4 profile Stag Upper?? Guess the info I was given was wrong then.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:31:50 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No M4 feedramps on the 16" M4 profile Stag Upper?? Guess the info I was given was wrong then.

Yeah, I was surprised too. I guess that particular upper just slipped through. As long as there are no feeding issues I don't care. I've never had any problems in my HBAR that has no M4 feedramps, and I've fed it everything from 55s to 77s.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#26]
tag
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:41:15 AM EDT
[#27]
I purchased a stag lower on a local face to face deal then I shopped the EE and picked up a Stag 2H upper with MI MCTAR 17 hand guards with arms #40 sights. The quality is top notch and it has the M4 feed ramps. All this and 4 mags and I have a total of $820 invested. Couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#28]
I've been having a little trouble with mine, but I think it's the ammunition that I was using.  I'll update later because I'm going to the range in a half hour.

As for fit and finish, I give it a 10 :)  My Stag lower and 16" M4 upper make a nice pair.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:50:27 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a Stag upper on my RR carbine lower.  Love the upper Stag has been great.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks again.

Doesn't Del-Ton deal with CMT uppers for the most part which would explain the good match you have with your Stag lower and Del-Ton upper?

These are all Stag lowers and the two complete rifles are Del-Ton kits. The 20" has an A3 upper and it matches the Stag lower well (the flash lightened it around the switch but it does match). As you can see in the picture the A2 upper on the 16" is a bit lighter than the Stag lower. It is my understanding that Del-Ton uses CMT and DPMS parts, I couldn't care less about the cosmetics anyway, I just like that they function well.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:25:35 PM EDT
[#31]
CMT = Stag, RRA, High Standard, Noveske, (new) Century, Global Tactical, CLE, Smith & Wesson

All of these lowers are absolutely excellent quality....
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Wow that is some line up. I heard that Stag is building S&W complete rifles, Just not lowers
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Just got back from a very Tiny gun shop! the had a STAG left hand rifle.

I got to play with it a little. VERY NICE!!

the upper and lower fit EXTRA TIGHT !!        if you like that kinda fit?

its a very nice rifle as far as I can tell

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#34]
this is gonna sound dumb, but I won't buy it with the deer on it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#35]
very good
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Ive heard great things. As far as stripped lowers go I heard mega was better. Anyone know if thats true?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Just bought a Stag Arms upper.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#38]
My Sabre Defence 20" upper is much better than my Stag 20" upper. The finish on the Stag is incomplete inside the upper, the upper to lower to fit is sloppy on either of my lowers, the upper does'nt line up perfectly with the lower and the A-2 sight on the removable carry handle shifts POI when switching between gost ring and small arpeture.  It does shoot fine with out malfunctions so I'm keeping it but I'd have to say SDI has them beat on quality from the just the two rifles I've got.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Ive heard great things. As far as stripped lowers go I heard mega was better. Anyone know if thats true?

Some of them are exceptionally nice.  Others have tool markings, slightly misaligned mag wells (seems their cuts don't fully line up from being milled in both directions....

In the last 4 months or so I've handled hundreds of receivers from a number of different manufacturers and the CMT cuts are the most consistently nicest.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

How is that worse than having a horse, or a snake, or an eagle? If the quality is good I wouldn't mind a platypus engraved tnere.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:40:13 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I gotta agree with ya . I wish companies would drop all the stupid logos of animals,reptiles,bugs and what not. Or at least make them small like the Colt pony.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:34:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Might as well show off what I have. Can't shoot it because I'm waiting for the lower.

Stag 3HL upper. Will have a GTS/Stag lower.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:14:43 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is that worse than having a horse, or a snake, or an eagle? If the quality is good I wouldn't mind a platypus engraved tnere.

I hate SNAKES but have one!

I hate all the animals pony,deer,lion,etc

Just the S # and  5.56mm  Safe,Semi,Full
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:26:22 AM EDT
[#44]
I Love Stag. Best quality stuff out there by far in my book. I love the logo!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:05:13 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't want to 'get into it' but THE tactica that has worked, is working, and will work against the RKBA movement is splitting us into 'sportsmen and hunters' and 'psychos'.  (coincidentally, a little less than half of american homes have a gun in them.  there are a mere 4 million NRA members.  IT shows you which side has taken a more active role within that 4 million, ever since they made Sandy Froman president - collector of military rifles and proud class 3 owner.  the splitting of the RKBA community is all but a success, but I think we're better for it.) Anyhow, I am not a sportsmen nor hunter and I'm damn proud to be  psycho.  I don't want a fucking deer on my EBR.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:17:16 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a Stag upper and STag bolt carrier group and Stag charging handle. IMHO, the quality/fit is rather poor. The black finishing chips off very easily. The RRA upper, RRA bolt carrier group, and RRA charging handle I have on the other AR-15 fits together very nicely.

For instance, the Stag CH on the Stag upper has about 1/2" of play before it contacts the bolt carrier. The RRA is pretty much dead-on. The Stag bolt had alignment problems as well, the cam pin wouldn't come out without using a tool. I swapped out the Stag bolt for a WOA/RRA and the cam pin dropped in/released freely.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Stag will assemble your stripped lower for free, if you buy the parts kit. Thats kind of a neat benefit if you choose to build
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't want to 'get into it' but THE tactica that has worked, is working, and will work against the RKBA movement is splitting us into 'sportsmen and hunters' and 'psychos'.  (coincidentally, a little less than half of american homes have a gun in them.  there are a mere 4 million NRA members.  IT shows you which side has taken a more active role within that 4 million, ever since they made Sandy Froman president - collector of military rifles and proud class 3 owner.  the splitting of the RKBA community is all but a success, but I think we're better for it.) Anyhow, I am not a sportsmen nor hunter and I'm damn proud to be  psycho.  I don't want a fucking deer on my EBR.

Good. More for the rest of us Mr. Psycho.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good. More for the rest of us Mr. Psycho.

it does suck cause everyone knows they're top notch.  they should offe ra non-deer lower.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Stag uppers are top notch in quailty department.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top