Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 3:11:50 PM EDT
...I just got anew RRA with 6 position stock and i want to change out the back plate for one of the GG&G sling thing plates. Which way should i turn the castle nut with my ar wrench? Is it the usual lefty losey,righty tighty?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is it the usual lefty losey,righty tighty?

Yes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#2]
umm so i wanna go left if i am facing it from the back or the front of the lower?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#3]
If you were holding the weapon to fire it, thats the way the bolt goes with regards to left or right.  Or you could look at the threads and figure it out that way.  The nut follows them so turn it so that it backs down the threads.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah ummmit seems to be staked...im going to break this thing here
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#5]
The castle nut is probably secured with Locktite.
And knowing RRA, they more than likely used red.

Heat will be required to break the bond.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#6]
My Bushmaster used Blue and it took hell to get her loose.  Odds of anything breaking have got to be pretty slim, right?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#7]
okay tried a little blowtorch thing and still no luck...how much heat and wear do i apply it?

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it actually staked (the Receiver extension staked into the slots on the forward side of the castle nut)?  If not then just apply a good amount of force (lefty loosy).
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#9]
There was Blue loctite on the threads under the castle nut of my RRA. I applied a propane torch to the nut for around 10-15 sec. and it came loose with no problem. Do a search using Loctite as a keyword. There is all the info you'll need in that thread. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:34:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Using the RRA wrench will help tremendously. Really gets a good grip on the nut.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:47:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The castle nut is probably secured with Locktite.
And knowing RRA, they more than likely used red.

Heat will be required to break the bond.

Damn straight.  I had a hell of a time getting mine loose.  I went to Wal Mart and bought a heat gun, heated it up and got mean with the wrench.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top