Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 1:34:34 PM EDT
Anyone here has any experience with their ar? Are they any good?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The M/P 15 just came out, so I doubt anyone has had any experience.
You are better off sticking to known and trusted mfgr's.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Waaaaay overpriced. I highly doubt they are worth the extra money, but well see.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Their MSRPs are steep, but they even state that dealer pricing may vary-and it will upward while they're still a novelty.  But...  They provide a serious looking folding rear sight on both models without a carry handle, and they offer a full length rail system (with covers) free float forend and folding front and rear sights on their "T" model.  That's a lot of factory features-and I think that's a good idea for their intended market: law enforcement.  I'd hate to be a Chief that had to justify all the gizmos and add ons needed for real tactical fielding on top of the cost of the rifles; the S&W rifles are "complete" for a number of applications.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why do people keep saying they are over priced, when the MSRP is cheaper than Bushmaster?

$1200 to 1700 MSRP
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Because Bushmasters sell for way less than MSRP.  I just looked at the S&W at my local shop today and it WAS SELLING FOR $1,400.  It has accessories you can install yourself for less but they engraved S&W M&P on everything (ie. Troy BUIS, FF Hand Guard, Stock, etc, etc, etc.)

MadDog
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why do people keep saying they are over priced, when the MSRP is cheaper than Bushmaster?

$1200 to 1700 MSRP

Exactly.

S&W basic M4 (A3) carbine MSRP- $1200

www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/811000_large.jpg

Bushmaster basic M4 (A3) carbine MSRP-  $ 1230

www.bushmaster.com/le/LE-Patrolman-Carb-A2-Blue.jpg

S&W M4 loaded using Troy components MSRP- $1700

www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/811001_large.jpg

Bushmaster loaded using YHM components MSRP- $1745
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/Images/pcwvml16f.jpg

+1, not that I would buy the thing though.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#9]
damn thats steep then how could they possibly be selling for like 800 bucks on gunbroker.com
check it out  http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=43921560
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#11]
A friend of mine ordered one last Thursday from a local dealer. He paid $930 including tax and shipping. It was supposed to be in today, but I didn't get a chance to talk to him yet. He owns 9 Colt ARs so I'm very curious to get his feedback.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I played with a flat top at the fun shop this week.  I wasn't impressed with the stock, it wobbled quite a bit.  Fit and finish was fair, and the swivle sling mount that comes with it is pretty useless if you ask me.  The upper was VERY solid on the lower.  $1,100 is what it's going for at that shop.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#14]
The MSRP is steep because S&W is new in the AR-15 market. Not to mention all of their stuff is probably made by CMT and you can just get a Stag for hundreds less.  You can't jump in the game and charge high prices, even if it's a well known firearm company.  You have to start with lower prices, like RRA did, earn a good rep and a loyal fan base, then you charge more.  Bushmaster on the other hand has been in the business for a long time with a good rep.  Most people would rather buy a firearm from a company that has been in the business for a longer time and has a good rep for quality/reliability than pay more money from a new company with untested products.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The MSRP is steep because S&W is new in the AR-15 market. .

My God.  How many times does Stickman have to prove guys like you wrong before you stop parroting this nonsense?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Because Bushmasters sell for way less than MSRP.  I just looked at the S&W at my local shop today and it WAS SELLING FOR $1,400.  It has accessories you can install yourself for less but they engraved S&W M&P on everything (ie. Troy BUIS, FF Hand Guard, Stock, etc, etc, etc.)

MadDog

Go to gunbroker.  Plenty of basic S&W carbines for reasonable $900.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
damn thats steep then how could they possibly be selling for like 800 bucks on gunbroker.com
check it out  http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=43921560

The same way that cars with $30,000 MSRPs sell for $22K.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The MSRP is steep because S&W is new in the AR-15 market. .

My God.  How many times does Stickman have to prove guys like you wrong before you stop parroting this nonsense?

Wow, someone has a hard on for stickman. Prove me wrong? Try reading my entire post. All he did was point out that the msrp is basically the same as Bushmaster's, give or take 20-30 dollars.  My point was that Bushmaster has been in the AR business for a long time and people would rather pay the same amount or even less money from an established company with reputable products than pay more from a new company with untested products.  It's common sense. I'm sure it's over your head though, since you are probably a S&W/Colt fanboy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Waaaaay overpriced. I highly doubt they are worth the extra money, but well see.

I looked at one today.  Base model with a price of $899, same price as a similar Bushmaster.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The MSRP is steep because S&W is new in the AR-15 market. Not to mention all of their stuff is probably made by CMT and you can just get a Stag for hundreds less.  You can't jump in the game and charge high prices, even if it's a well known firearm company.  You have to start with lower prices, like RRA did, earn a good rep and a loyal fan base, then you charge more.  Bushmaster on the other hand has been in the business for a long time with a good rep.  Most people would rather buy a firearm from a company that has been in the business for a longer time and has a good rep for quality/reliability than pay more money from a new company with untested products.

+1
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:12:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
a new company with untested products.

Yeah, Smith & Wesson is a new company and the AR15 is an untested product.......

GMAFB.....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top