Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 8:03:23 AM EDT
I have a Colt Sporter II lower, its a slabside, large hole, s/n 334xxx range. What upper would have most likely came on this?

For now I have the SP1, slabside, large hole, triangle HG upper on it. I was thinking more of a 20" HBAR, A1 sights w/ round HG's? It also has the A2 pistol grip & an A1 trapdoor butt stock, would this be proper also?

If it would have had the std. 20" could I just replace the HG's for the round ones and appear more correct for the lower. (I realize I can physically swap the HG's, I am speaking cosmetically appearing "factory")

Hopefully someone knows from the s/n range what was probably the factory offering. What upper configuration, stock set ........

Thanks,
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully this will help you narrow it down:

Colt Variants

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Judging from the serial number alone it is a 1981 manufactured SP1, not a SPII.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#3]
My mistake Ekie, it is a s/n 334xxx. I got my lines crossed from my data sheet and gave an M1A s/n of 132xxx in the original post.

Thanks M4Madness, I tried the bighammer site but things just didnt seem to fit.?

The lower is marked:

Colt
AR-15  A2
Cal. .223
Sporter II
Ser. SP 334XXX

Colts Firearm Div.
Colt Industries
H......Conn.
USA

So would it be a 6500?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it would be a 6500. I had one years back. As a matter of fact I know the guy who I sold it to as he still has it. It was a sort of "transistional" modelwith a bit of a mix of "A2" improvements. Like non-A2 sights and a now popular Govt. profile barrel etc.

Bill
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:29:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Proper Sporter II:

Forward assist is optional, it comes with a 1/7" Nato barrel.  Forward assist has ither clipped round plunger or a tear drop plunger.  The buffer is black with orange tip
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:23:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Great, thanks all and AssaultRifler for the pics.

So, I have a Colt takeoff A2 stock, so my lower will be complete. Now I will need a whole new upper, well the search is half of the fun.

Thanks again,
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top