Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 6:43:18 PM EDT
I want to mount a red dot sight on my new AR. its a A2. where would be the best place to mount it? and what would i need besides the scope.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#1]
There are a couple rail mounts for the A2 out there. A.R.M.S makes a good one:

Clicky
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Clicky

thats not bad, but wouldnt that put it a little higher then my line of sight? sorry for the stupid newB questions.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]
you need one of these. Good price too
A2 mount
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Clicky

Nice, so you can use a scope, and the iron sights?  I just might get one of those for myself...

i'm havinga hard time deciding whether I want a carry handle or a low power scope on my 16" m4.  Might as well get the best of both worlds
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Most red-dot type scopes come with a mount for rails.  You would need a rail to mount it on.  Two options:
-Rail adapter for the top of the carry handle: while some people like this, I find that you want more eye relief on a aimpoint type optic when shooting with both eyes open.  Also,this puts the sight WAY over your bore (ruining POI at short distances) and prevents co-witnessing, if you want that.
-"gooseneck" mount: this attaches to the carry handle and then goosenecks down to just above the handguards, placeing the sight in a good spot for two-eye shooting and co-witnessing.  This would be my preference.

ETA: looks like your question was answered before I finished typing this post LOL.  That's what I get for watching x-files while surfing ARFcom.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess ill have too look at some of the options. I was planning on getting an A3 but ended up with the A2 so now i have to figure out new plans for the sight set up. I really want a red dot style though i hear they are good for people that are right handed/left eye dominate like myself
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#7]
another quick question, if i was to get a red dot type scope could i mount it on the handgaurd since i have rails on it? or would that leave it to low?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:19:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
another quick question, if i was to get a red dot type scope could i mount it on the handgaurd since i have rails on it? or would that leave it to low?

if the handguards are solidly mounted why not but you may run into a heat problem if your prone to mag dumping
As far as height goes it works for some and not for others.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top