Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 12:05:22 PM EDT
All of the following is my experience and may differ from others.  I'm just sharing my observations and experiences.  I haven't seen any other durability reports about this product or combo, so I figured I'd share mine.

Here's my Mega that I coated with Norrell's tan.  From day one, the coating was fragile.

NOTE:  It only showed this fragility on the lower receiver.  The buttstock (plastic), upper receiver (anodized aluminum - no teflon coating), barrel (parkerized 4150) and rail covers (plastic) I covered showed a ton more durability than the lower receiver.

There's about a dozen or so range trips on this lower and some basement drill practice, but nothing outrageous.

This was my third attempt to apply a good coating to this lower.  The first two I took the standard precautions for coating and the coating was fragile from the start.  The third time, I roughed up the surface with ScotchBrite, degreased, baked, degreased, baked, degreased and baked a third time, then coated per normal procedure.  I used an airbrush for applications.  While this showed a bit more durability than the first two attempts, I guess I wasn't too happy with the result.

My gut feeling is that it has something to do with the teflon coating and maybe with the chemistry in the Norrell's tan.  I hear better results from Norrell's OD and teflon receivers.

This one's getting a coating of Norrell's OD when I get the garage cleaned up.

Just sharing.  FWIW.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I was always concerned about coating the Teflon stuff.  Since the Teflon is part of teh finish, I doubt it will ever get proper adhesion without removing the entire teflon coating.

I wonder if you can do a "water bead" test like they do in anodizing to see if the surface is prepared properly.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Well duh!!! EVERYONE knows MEGA receivers are WAAAAY too good to be painted...especially tan.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well duh!!! EVERYONE knows MEGA receivers are WAAAAY too good to be painted...especially tan.

In my most humble opinion, anything teflon coated is off my want list, mostly due to this issue, but other factors play into that also.  Everyone has their line in the sand, mine is good old Class III hardcoat anodizing.  YMMV.

Thanks for the backup, Stick.  Knowing your expertise on this subject, it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one pulling my hair out over this issue (what little I have left).

Oh, and BTW, I tried to photoshop a Mongo face on a Chuck body, but my photoshop-fu is weak, very weak.

Additionally, I have a Stag lower that is just begging to be tan.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Heck, I feel bad for steering you wrong.  

Don't feel bad.  Even if you told me flat out that it wouldn't work, I would have done it anyway.  I'm hard headed like that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In my most humble opinion, anything teflon coated is off my want list, mostly due to this issue, but other factors play into that also.  Everyone has their line in the sand, mine is good old Class III hardcoat anodizing.  YMMV.

Thanks for the backup, Stick.  Knowing your expertise on this subject, it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one pulling my hair out over this issue (what little I have left).

Oh, and BTW, I tried to photoshop a Mongo face on a Chuck body, but my photoshop-fu is weak, very weak.

Got any more MEGA receivers w/o tan crap all over em I can take off your hands? Preferrably ones that haven't been scotchbrited.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:52:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got any more MEGA receivers w/o tan crap all over em I can take off your hands? Preferrably ones that haven't been scotchbrited.

If I did, I'd sell them.  But, no, I don't.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#10]
How much for that one gently blasted and Norrel'd black?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I would also like to point out that I heard a rumor that Mongo is such a brute with his carbines, that the Norrells jumped off his receiver and ran away in fear.  Here I was thinking that only Chuck Norris had such powers....

Well it is a tool, isn't it???

I never thought Mongo was a Safe Queen kinda guy....
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Mongo/Stickman,

You said the other parts were holding up pretty good, right???

Then it has to be more of a Teflon issue, right???

Maybe Tan is less durable than other colors, but it is bad on teflon and OK on others.......is that a fair statement????
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
How much for that one gently blasted and Norrel'd black?

The cost of a new Mega + my time and materials to refinish it.

Honestly, I don't like, but it will look nice on an OD build, so I'll keep it and bear through my hardship.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I would also like to point out that I heard a rumor that Mongo is such a brute with his carbines, that the Norrells jumped off his receiver and ran away in fear.  Here I was thinking that only Chuck Norris had such powers....

Hahahaha!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I bet that it would have stuck if it had been abrasive blasted as per Norrell's recommendations.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I bet that it would have stuck if it had been abrasive blasted as per Norrell's recommendations.

Probably, but that would also take off the teflon coating of the receiver.  I'm not sure if that's a very good idea in this case, but I don't know for sure.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I would just sand blast off the original finish if tan is what you want.

Easier to coat an anodized receiver tan than go through that.  Additionally, OD sticks to teflon, so I'm potentially in a win-win.

I do have an anodized receiver and a quart of Norrell's OD standing by right now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#21]
How about this.

Coat in Moly Black, then Top with Tan.

If it is the Tan/Teflon that is the problem use another color to "prime"
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Actually, I was going to try automotive primer.  It goes on pretty thin and sticks to just about anything.  Your idea has just as much merit as that, but I'm ODing this Mega and tanning the Stag I have in my safe.

Quoted:
How about this.

Coat in Moly Black, then Top with Tan.

If it is the Tan/Teflon that is the problem use another color to "prime"

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Are Megas factory tefloned???

TS
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#25]
We learn and live, or is it we live and learn, well you know what i mean........
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Here I was thinking that only Chuck Norris had such powers....

I heard Chuck Norris' tears cured cancer and fixed Norrell's tan...too bad he has never cried.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Goddamn I am sick of hearing about Chuck Norris on this board.  What the fuck happened to talking about weapons?

This shit is out of hand.  I guess people have so much time on their hands that they reply to every thread with a Chuck reference.  I mean.... what fucking grade are we in here?

Rant mode off
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are Megas factory tefloned???

TS

Yes sir, all of them that I've ever seen or heard of.

Oddly, their lesser line of Stinger receivers were anodized.  I had one and liked it alot.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:30:24 AM EDT
[#31]
I've had success getting the Teflon off, or neutralized, by spraying the piece with oven cleaner, letting it sit for awhile, and then scrubbing the piece with one of those cleaning pads you use on teflon pots and pans.

Of course, the finish I was applying after the cleaning wasn't Norrell's, but the piece I was finishing off was a combo of bare metal, and anodized, and the finish went on w/no discernaable difference between the bare metal and the formerly tefloned anodised portion.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:15:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Goddamn I am sick of hearing about Chuck Norris on this board.  What the fuck happened to talking about weapons?

This shit is out of hand.  I guess people have so much time on their hands that they reply to every thread with a Chuck reference.  I mean.... what fucking grade are we in here?

Rant mode off

Dude.  Relax.  It's just the Internet.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top