Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 9:20:23 AM EDT
Okay, I have decided against the Ruger Mini-14 (accuracy and price getting comparable to an AR-15, and other reasons).  Also, for those who hate my guts at this point, go read the Mini-14 vs. AR-15 article on this site which sums up that it comes down to personal preference with the exception of accuracy/accessories.

So anyway, I have lurked around here for the better part of a few weeks trying to gain a little knowledge and have ascertained that RRA and Bushmaster get the nod from the masses as a "you can't go wrong" rifle purchase.  Please, no hate posts regarding other makes, I think that this is pretty much undisputed.  And have read all the positive things about certian makes and some bad things about certain makes but have not seen anything to deter me from either a Bushmaster or RRA.

So I have decided on the following:

RRA Elite Car A4
Dominator EOTech Mount
Stainless barrel.

Eventually it will be set up with the EOTech sight, mid quad rails from YHM, probably a Pelican light (Surefire if I hit the lottery), a forward grip of some type and plenty of ammo.

My question to the group is not what is good about this rifle, but what is not good about this rifle?  That is, will the EoTech sight work well with the fixed sights, why not choose stainless, are the Daniel rails really $200 better than the YHM, etc.

I really like the mid-length as opposed to the standard A2/A4 or M4 and it seems that the nod goes to the mid-length vs. the M4.  Mainly a plinker but I plan on putting down a few dear this season with it. (okay, for those who feel in need to be lectured regarding the .223 or 5.56 not being good caliber for deer, points all understood, however I have no problem putting the round where I want it and I don’t plan on shooting the damn thing 500 yards away, so unless you have shot and NOT killed deer using the PROPER round at the proper range, then please stick to the topic.

Thanks,

And Semper Fi

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes the DD is a better rail than the YHM.  The DD also has a narrow profile to mimick A2 handguards, or at least give you a similar grip.  

You may want a chrome lined barrel over a stainless.  For the accuracy gained by a stainless you have to be shooting some extended ranges.  For the set up you're going for, a chrome lined barrel will give MORE than adequate results.  The benefits from a chromelined barrel far outweigh the stainless.  My 2 cents anyway.  BUT....whatever floats your boat.

Nice configuration btw.

H

Quoted:
Okay, I have decided against the Ruger Mini-14 (accuracy and price getting comparable to an AR-15, and other reasons).  Also, for those who hate my guts at this point, go read the Mini-14 vs. AR-15 article on this site which sums up that it comes down to personal preference with the exception of accuracy/accessories.

So anyway, I have lurked around here for the better part of a few weeks trying to gain a little knowledge and have ascertained that RRA and Bushmaster get the nod from the masses as a "you can't go wrong" rifle purchase.  Please, no hate posts regarding other makes, I think that this is pretty much undisputed.  And have read all the positive things about certian makes and some bad things about certain makes but have not seen anything to deter me from either a Bushmaster or RRA.

So I have decided on the following:

RRA Elite Car A4
Dominator EOTech Mount
Stainless barrel.

Eventually it will be set up with the EOTech sight, mid quad rails from YHM, probably a Pelican light (Surefire if I hit the lottery), a forward grip of some type and plenty of ammo.

My question to the group is not what is good about this rifle, but what is not good about this rifle?  That is, will the EoTech sight work well with the fixed sights, why not choose stainless, are the Daniel rails really $200 better than the YHM, etc.

I really like the mid-length as opposed to the standard A2/A4 or M4 and it seems that the nod goes to the mid-length vs. the M4.  Mainly a plinker but I plan on putting down a few dear this season with it. (okay, for those who feel in need to be lectured regarding the .223 or 5.56 not being good caliber for deer, points all understood, however I have no problem putting the round where I want it and I don’t plan on shooting the damn thing 500 yards away, so unless you have shot and NOT killed deer using the PROPER round at the proper range, then please stick to the topic.

Thanks,

And Semper Fi

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the RRA Elite CAR A4 with quad rails and love this gun.  I will shot any ammo I put through it.  Wolf, ADCOM, IMI, even the PD stuff.  You can't go wrong.  There is nothing I don't like about this rifle.  My next one will be another RRA!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys.  Regarding the DD rails, maybe I can sell kidney or heart or something to afford them (daughter is going to a private college this fall which equals no $$$$ for me for a while, so I figured I better do it now).  

I searched the site for info regarding Chrome-Molly vs. Chrome Lined vs. SS that is offered with RRA and never really found much to make a decision.  What I did find indicated that the SS barrel was easier to clean and MAYBE, a little more accurate, and since it is only a few more dollars, I decided to go with SS.

So is there a reason not to go with SS (chances are that I will bead blast it to a dull grey)?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#5]
My understanding is that:

Chrome moly is easier to clean and lasts longer (less wear)
SS more accruate but heavier for any given profile and length.  And SS isn't stainless.

Randall
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a note of moral support. I have a Mini-14, a Bushmaster AR 15 A2 with 20" target barrel, and a Bushmaster AR15 with 16" heavy barrel.

I am selling my Mini 14.

The reasons are three-fold:

1) It is harder to strip and clean the Ruger

2) The Mini-14 just feels, well, a little crude compared to the AR mechanism.

3) I can shoot more accurately with the ARs.

4) Upper and lower are so easy to interchange on the AR

No religious arguments here, I just have decided the AR works better for me.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#7]
My only complaints about RRA is the hbar profile that is found on almost all of their rifles, and the fact that the barrel is only 4140.  I also hate how they dremel their upper receivers, making barrel change suck, because you have to dremel on your new barrel to make it fit.

I have 2 RRA lowers, and I love them.  I am ordering 2 upper receivers as well.  They are not dremeled if it's just the upper.  I am going to use sabre defence barrels, one carbine length cut to 14.7 with perm A2, and the other a 16" midlength.

I had 2 midlengths before.  One I had contoured by ADCO.  This is what made me hate the hbar.  My other one is pending sale.  As soon as I get all the parts to build my new RRA/Sabre upper, I'm selling the contoured barrel as well.

As you can see, I'm not much for their upper assemblies, but their parts are great, as well as their lowers...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top