Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 9:03:54 AM EDT
Hi all, I'm trying to apply Duracoat, and I can't get my airbrush to draw the paint.  

I thought it might be too little air pressure, so I sat my propellant can in warm water.  Nothing.  

I thought it might be that my paint was too thick, so I thinned it.  Nothing.  

I thought the nozzle might be clogged, so I ran straight thinner through it.  Nothing.  

I tipped the airbrush so that liquid would run through it via gravity, and it did, but it still won't draw the paint.  

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you read the manual???

Did you adjust the nozzle, as it lets more or less paint out.....if it is close it will not pick up paint.

It isn't rocket science, it is a vacuum that pulls the paint.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe a bad can of propellant?

I had the same problem with a cheap chinese kit I bought first time I did my pistols. I switched over to the cheapo Testors kit hooked up to a compressor. Works a helluva lot better. I'm not sure how the Testors would work with the canned stuff though.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#3]
For those kind of airbrushes, the paint needs to be as thin as milk...I have the external mix, single action Testors, and it works fine on both the propellent cans or my Testors Electric Blue Compressor

Adjust the nozzle until you get a thin, uniform spray pattern. If you plan on doing more guns in the future, I'd suggest on an compressor or a refillable air tank, with a regulator.

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, get on their website and check out thier web coupons. They have 40% any item in the store coupons and you can get a Testors Electric Blue comperssor for under $70...

Add up the cans of air and you will save by buying the compressor.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Adjust the nozzle and open it up more.  Also make sure it isn't clogged.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#5]
<sigh> I got the "starter kit" from Lauer, which came with no manufacturers' directions.  I think I'm just going to get a new airbrush and a compressor, start from scratch.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:08:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Why start from scratch unless you didn't clean it and it has gunked up solid?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#7]
It's also looking like I screwed up the brush itself with an overpressurized can; it blows air now even when I don't have my finger on the trigger...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It's also looking like I screwed up the brush itself with an overpressurized can; it blows air now even when I don't have my finger on the trigger...

A Paasche 3B Pressure Valve will save that from happening in the future. Paasche 3B
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Make sure the vent in the cap is open
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#10]
this is a single action external mix airbrush?

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I honestly don't know enough about airbrushes to know the difference btw single and double action.

I managed to get it working and sprayed my M4gery down with a basecoat, which will have to be good enough until I can get a compressor from Hobby Lobby and a new airbrush.  And that nifty valve, while I'm at it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#12]
The propellant cans are teh suck. Rent an air compressor.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I honestly don't know enough about airbrushes to know the difference btw single and double action.

I managed to get it working and sprayed my M4gery down with a basecoat, which will have to be good enough until I can get a compressor from Hobby Lobby and a new airbrush.  And that nifty valve, while I'm at it.

Single action airbrush, the pre-set paint/air mix is sprayed by pressing on the button.  Dual action, you press the button for air, and slide the button backwards to add the amount of paint you want.  Basically, dual action allows a bit more control, whereas the single action is easier to use.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The propellant cans are teh suck. Rent an air compressor.

Get a compressed CO2 cannister from your local gas supplier.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#15]
The tip of your needle needs to be in the direct path of the airflow. The media will flow up the needle as you open the action.

Most problems occur when paint is clogging the path, or the needle is misaligned.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#16]
In my experience the airbrush kits that come with the starter kits from Lauer are junk.  You can pick up a Testors airbrush kit for around $20 and it should do everything you need without a problem.  As far as reducing, I only used a few drops of reducer (2 to 3 drops).  I've done two full ARs now and about 20 mags and have had excellent results.  You may want to pick up an extra can of air as the small cans that come with the Lauer and Testors kits seem to run out faster.  Using two small cans should probably be able to get you through 1 complete rifle / carbine but having a spare on hand is probably a good idea.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:50:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Saw a $40 compressor at Checker Auto, thinking about it... and a Testor airbrush, the Paasche (sp?) is already crapping out on me, and the canned air sucks oodles...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:22:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Where did everyone get their Testors kit?  I'm looking to find one locally but the closest art or hobby store is at least 15 miles away and they only carry Pasche. I didn't see it on Walmart's website either. TIA.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:48:05 AM EDT
[#19]
The Lauer kit looks like a Badger, I've used a Badger for many, many years with excellent results.  The canned air really took a crap when they removed the floro-carbons (sp) long ago, back in the late 80's...  They weren't even suitable to use on model airplanes anymore.

I've shot Duracoat unthinned with mine and it sprayed perfectly, I just can't remember if it was with a medium or heavy tip.

Also make sure your paint cup has a clean vent hole, that will keep the paint from pulling right.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:11:23 AM EDT
[#20]
walmart  sells *decent* airbrushes     as long as you arent using them everyday all day.   Of course they arent as good as an iwata or a badger but so what if u only use them once.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I thought the Lauer was a Paasche but I could be wrong.

Will your airbrush spray water just fine?  Try that.  

I have a can of Testor's Air but really don't want to mess with it because it come pre filled with oil for the Airbrush.  Don't ask me why they did it but I think it's F*cking stupid.  Who uses oil paints or oil compatible paints?  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Got mine at walmart. It doesnt see heavy use so it works fine. Was 19.95 last time I checked.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:13:22 AM EDT
[#23]
I sprayed water to figure out how to tweak the airbrush so it would draw paint, layed the rest of my base coat after that.  

Still want better tools for the job, it's ridiculous to spend 2 hours troubleshooting, 10 minutes spraying...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:25:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Harbor Freight $9.99

Air brush kit

Not one problem. Sprayed 2 AK's and an AR so far. still works like a champ!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top