Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 6:06:50 PM EDT
I don't know what the issue is, but I was expecting a handgun in today via UPS Next Day Air to find out that there was a shipping exception.

After several calls and on hold time with incompetent operators, I finally got the answer that the package was shipped with a hazardous goods sticker on it and that it was potentially explosive.  Thus they couldn't ship the package and it would be delivered back to the sender!  

There was no ammo included and obviously nothing explosive.  

WTF?

Anybody know why this would happen and have any recommendations?

EDIT:  handgun was scheduled to be shipped to a local FFL at his shop.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the shipper screwed up by mislabeling it. HAZMAT cannot be sent via AIR carrier.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Agreed...the shipper was ignorant/stupid.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I had run into this problem too some time ago.  The FFL holder may be able to arrange a "Pickup", and I know that FedEx will provide that service too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Oh, and the HAZMAT thing too.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I had run into this problem too some time ago.  The FFL holder may be able to arrange a "Pickup", and I know that FedEx will provide that service too.

Already tried that route.. I offered to have the FFL pick it up and UPS flat out refuses to load a package labeled as hazardous on a plane.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#6]
With haz-mat labling it's beyond UPS' control it's a Federal deal that could land UPS a huge fine and the feds all up in their ass.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Was it a Glock?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL- Nope, I made that mistake earlier.  This time I did it right and got an HK USP .40 Compact.  I just heard the explanation from the shipper though, long story short, don't ship anything in an old cardboard box that has hazmat warnings on it, he removed the hazmat warning on it, but I guess UPS is picky.  Wasn't the shippers fault, just affected him the most in shipping costs.  I feel bad, I know he did his best and it was appreciated and in my opinion has gone way above and beyond to rectify the whole situation.  Gun should be here in a couple of days via Fedex.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Was it a Glock?

Oh no you didn't!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
LOL- Nope, I made that mistake earlier.  This time I did it right and got an HK USP .40 Compact.  I just heard the explanation from the shipper though, long story short, don't ship anything in an old cardboard box that has hazmat warnings on it, he removed the hazmat warning on it, but I guess UPS is picky.  Wasn't the shippers fault, just affected him the most in shipping costs.  I feel bad, I know he did his best and it was appreciated and in my opinion has gone way above and beyond to rectify the whole situation.  Gun should be here in a couple of days via Fedex.

Everybody is getting pickier about such stuff anymore.

Christmas time I was standing in line at the Post Office and the clerk rejected a guys package because he used a Bacardi Rum box. Hell, if they were afraid it contained booze they should have suspected my box. It was a plain brown box but I could have fit a bottle in it if I had wanted.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top