Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 9:45:33 AM EDT
I am in the market for a new heavy barrel, and I am no looking at a 20" DPMS DCM style 1/8" barrel and  Oly Arms 20" Ultra Match barrel.  Which do you think would be the more accurate of the two?  Any advantages top one over the other?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#1]
oly

both low budget bbls. but i have noticed that the oly's tend to be pretty accurate
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I would go DPMS of those two
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am in the market for a new heavy barrel, and I am no looking at a 20" DPMS DCM style 1/8" barrel and  Oly Arms 20" Ultra Match barrel.  Which do you think would be the more accurate of the two?  Any advantages top one over the other?

I got the DPMS DCM rifle. Its quite a tack driver, Ive managed .8" groups with it at 100yds using Federal 69gr Match, and about the same using Black Hills 69gr. Federal AE has been under 1". Only gripe is this barrel is very picky about what will/wont work in it. The only commercial ammo that feeds/functions in it is Federal and Black Hills. Good surplus M193 or M855 works fine too. Anything else jams right up. DPMS is notorious for having tight chambers. If you are planning on shooting quality ammo all the time then its not a problem.

Ive never tried the Olympic Arms, but Ive heard bad things about em in general.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I've shot both and they both are WAAAY more accurate than I am.  I don't think you'd go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
oly

both low budget bbls. but i have noticed that the oly's tend to be pretty accurate

+1 for the Oly SUM barrel.

Joe
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Oly makes a good barrel. A buddy of mine used to turn barrels down there.

Wish I could say good things about the rest of the rifle!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#7]
For just about the same money (+/- $50), get a Wilson from White Oak Armament
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Oly SUM is probably the best barrel available on a regular production AR.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
For just about the same money (+/- $50), get a Wilson from White Oak Armament

What's the difference between these barrels and the Wilson barrels offered on Rock River rifles??
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#10]
the blank is the same, but he WOA barrels are cut by CLE
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
the blank is the same, but he WOA barrels are cut by CLE

Compass Lake Engineering.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#12]
From Oly's website.

All SUM barrels are broach-cut from 416R stainless steel bar stock to the GI specified National Match 4 lands and 4 grooves bore.

Now, given that there is no M16 National Match technical data package (like there was for the M1 and the M14), their statement is pure marketing bullshit.

Add to that the fact that you would have a hard time finding one in serious competition, the fact that White Oak Armament barrels are found in the hands of very serious competitors, and that WOA barrels cost just a little more than SUMs, and I see no reason to buy an Oly.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top