Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 3:46:21 PM EDT
Hey, looking for more info on 6.8 builds, As this is my first build i want to make it something worth the the time and money not really looking for the least expensive, looking for the quality. I already got my Stags 6.8 lower, What are your recommendations on the upper, looking for top quality and precision, hoping to be able to use it for hunting if possible if this is an ignorant direction im going take it easy on me I havent kept up on long rifles since i was 16 and last time i went white tail hunting in texas, now living in california and already pissed of about the laws. the only 6.8 upper ive been able to find is the 6.8 SPC Remington, Anyone got any comments on it?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hey, looking for more info on 6.8 builds, As this is my first build i want to make it something worth the the time and money not really looking for the least expensive, looking for the quality. I already got my Stags 6.8 lower, What are your recommendations on the upper, looking for top quality and precision, hoping to be able to use it for hunting if possible if this is an ignorant direction im going take it easy on me I havent kept up on long rifles since i was 16 and last time i went white tail hunting in texas, now living in california and already pissed of about the laws. the only 6.8 upper ive been able to find is the 6.8 SPC Remington, Anyone got any comments on it?

isnt 6.8 SPC  the caliber u want to build it in,  im not familiar with another 6.8 caliber.  u could go to model 1 sales   and buy an upper  however if you want accuracy and precison i would suggest buying a noveske barrel       Noveske Barrels
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Go thru the 6.8 FAQ at the top of this forum.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.ar15barrels.com/

I have a Model 1 20" and the thing is a tank, 9,5 lbs with no mag.  Randall can do you a lighter profile bbl in a higher quality blank.

rj
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#4]
you can get a lightweight 16"  6.8 SPC  barrel from model 1     which is the setup i will be purchasing
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:06:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I just don't care for the M4 profile on the exposed portion of the bbl. I'm not going to be mounting up a grenade launcher anytime soon

rj
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:13:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
you can get a lightweight 16"  6.8 SPC  barrel from model 1     which is the setup i will be purchasing

I was also very unhappy with the big burr where the gas port broke out into the bore and if you will read the 6.8 FAQ above you will see NOT to order chrome if you buy a Model 1 6.8.

My upper is pretty accurate with Hornady 110gr Vmax bullets.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I went thru most of the 6.8 faq forum but some guys tend to get of subject and get sidetracked i read a string on empty shells I'm looking for information pertaining to building, once i build it then i'll search for ammo info and then reconfigure if not happy with first setup, i think it would be cheaper to buy different types of ammo and test than buying differnt barrels and finding out which would work with one type of ammo. not trying to be sarcastic but the barrel reponses ive had are a great start
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#8]
The main thing is that the Model 1 6.8 in chrome is undersized. Most anything you need to know about 6.8 is in the last 10 pages   If I had it to do over I might get a gas piston 16".

rj
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:52:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What are your recommendations on the upper, looking for top quality and precision, hoping to be able to use it for hunting  

You have lots of options if you want someone else to build the upper (Randall @ AR15barrels, Wes @ MSTN, Noveskie etc).

If you are looking to build your own and want a top shelf barrel then contact Randall at AR15barrels.com.  He's run 2 group buys on Match quality 6.8 barrells in the last 12 months and they turned out great (I'm very happy with mine).  Best of all you get options on quality of barrel, profile (how heavy it will be), length, barrel extension type etc..  Randall hangs out here and can be found  posting in the 6.8 thread tacked to the top of this forum.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Welcome to the Site
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info this is exactly the kind of advise I'm looking to research, I am looking for top quality alright since i am intending to use this first build as a hunting rifle, if the 6.8 has the umph! to bring down a stag. So accuracy will be important, Iknow I should be using a bolt action for the ultimate accuracy.  Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Make sure the upper and barrel extensions have M4 feed ramps.  Other than that, I have had great success with my 16" Model 1 Sales CAR style barrel.  I had WOA add the M4 ramp extension and receiver and now it runs with 100% reliability.  

Stephen
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

isnt 6.8 SPC  the caliber u want to build it in,  im not familiar with another 6.8 caliber.  u could go to model 1 sales   and buy an upper  however if you want accuracy and precison i would suggest buying a noveske barrel       Noveske Barrels

Just called Noveske - they have an 10-12 week turn around time.  Still deciding between them and AR15barrels.com for my 6.8 SPR barrel.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#15]
check with DPMS and Barrett....also Pri makes some kick ass stuff
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
we at Ameetec arms have 6.8 SPC uppers and complete guns in stock, special builds to standard M4 configurations.

Look like some nice products but do you have more specifications on your barrles, (i.e. wieght, twist ) and stocks. Hoping to make it a lite hunting rifle, without sacraficing on the other imptortant aspects of it. Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it is, thanks for the link but dont look like Noveske makes a 16" or longer barrel which i would need for california laws and also for greater accuracy,  By the way I did see that they went with a 1 in 10 twist could you give me the short and sweet twsit 101 lesson on this.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:07:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Last spring bought a Bravo Co. upper in 20" in 6.8 SPC. They use Shaw barrels. Had no problem. Worked up a load with Barnes 110 gr. Triple Shock that shot 1 MOA. Killed 120lb doe with it last season. Clean and fast kill. Liked the round but wanted shorter barrel. Ordered a 16" barrel from Model 1 Sales, again Shaw. Shoots great. These are both chrome lined barrels. Have had no signs of pressure. The little carbine is great for the thick woods we have in this area. As far as accuracy goes I don't think you give up anything in using an ar-15 action over a bolt. I've got a heavy barrel AR that with drop them into 3/8-1/2" at 100 yards regular as rain, but you are talking a much heavier rifle for that kind of performance, but 1 moa is very doable, but hunting round really don't require that kind of accuracy, the kill zone on a lung shot deer being much larger.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Last spring bought a Bravo Co. upper in 20" in 6.8 SPC. They use Shaw barrels. Had no problem. Worked up a load with Barnes 110 gr. Triple Shock that shot 1 MOA. Killed 120lb doe with it last season. Clean and fast kill. Liked the round but wanted shorter barrel. Ordered a 16" barrel from Model 1 Sales, again Shaw. Shoots great. These are both chrome lined barrels. Have had no signs of pressure. The little carbine is great for the thick woods we have in this area. As far as accuracy goes I don't think you give up anything in using an ar-15 action over a bolt. I've got a heavy barrel AR that with drop them into 3/8-1/2" at 100 yards regular as rain, but you are talking a much heavier rifle for that kind of performance, but 1 moa is very doable, but hunting round really don't require that kind of accuracy, the kill zone on a lung shot deer being much larger.

Thanks for the info, keep forgetting the human input on shooting accuracy. the gun will  only shoot where i point it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top