Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 1:57:44 PM EDT
So I like to have my rifle sonically cleaned once in a while.
Cleaning can be done at the range where I shoot.
Get rifle back , put in it's case and it sat for 2 weeks.

Today go to shoot. First round is FTF,,,,,,,Hmm
Clear weapon, quick check and next round is FTF,,,Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Check bolt, mag, cartridges, push out pin and look down barrel,,HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Something is in barrel. Take to back of the range and put in bore light,,,,,,Oh Myyyyyyy

Chamber brush had been left in barrel and now pushed further in.......Damn

Fortunately can screw in cleaning rod and pull like heck to get it out....WHEW

Shoot rest of day without failures. Got home and cleaned my rifle.
Question: is sonic cleaning all that important?
Lesson: Pack your own chute, clean your own weapon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't ask name of range as it was an individual that cleaned my gun not the range. And I did let the individual and owner know my thoughts them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#1]
You let someone else clean your weapon?

Sorry, that is an alien concept to me.  I don't trust anyone who has less to lose than I do.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Sorry, that is an alien concept to me.  I don't trust anyone who has less to lose than I do.

NO SHIT!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I'm still confused as to why you wanted them to clean your gun?  Its not like its a major chore.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#5]
You are lucky that you didn't  fire a round when you tried.

Don't know if I'm the only one, but I generally check for bore obstructions before I shoot at the range.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#6]
If I was to have someone else clean my gun....................It would just give me more reason to thouroughly inspect my gun before loading and firing it!!!

No pun intended. Hope you learned your lesson!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Nevermind.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#8]
If you checked the bore before you loadded your rifle, this never would of happened.

I clean my own only one w/ safe combo and I still check to make sure the bore is clear before I load.

30 secs of time (going real slow) makes sure I still see out of 2 eyes and  can cout to 10 using the hands.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Somtimes being unique has its downfalls. As it appears no one else has had similiar experience.
As I said, occasional sonic cleaning and not sure if it does any better than when I clean.
Thought I would share the experience for those that do allow others to clean their guns by someone with the sonic cleaner that you don't have at home. (saw that thread on best cleaner)

All points well taken.
That was the lesson I learned.
And glad it was not the hard way by having the brush so far down the barrel it did allow the cartridge to chamber and me to fire.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Somtimes being unique has its downfalls.

Glad you said it...That's one way to describe cleaning ANY weapon with an Ultrasonic cleaner.

Takes all kinds...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know why you would want anyone to clean your rifle.................how much does that cost?  I always break my rifle down "shotgun style" before I fire it.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#12]
How does a bore obstruction prevent the primer from going bang?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#13]
As long as you learned from this experience (and the fact that a: Nothing bad happened to you and b: your weapon was not damaged) that's all that matters.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.....
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Well, in this case, the obstruction was far enough back [near the chamber] to prevent the round from being chambered, which would not allow the bolt to go into battery.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It doesn't. The problem BEGINS when the primer goes 'Bang'.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Ah, I see.  Gotta break her down shotgun style and have a peek I suppose.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:00:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Ah, I see.  Gotta break her down shotgun style and have a peek I suppose.

No longer a "suppose" for me as  I did not do it when I cleaned my guns. The lesson has been learned. Count all cleaning parts, patches included, used before and after cleaning, inspect rifle thoroughly then store or shoot with confidence.

Kind of like after surgery and the sponge count comes up wrong. That is why they put a radiopaque stripe in cloths to now see under xray before cutting the person back open for the search. Or like the stories of clamps left in people.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:08:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Good lesson. Always clean your own weapon. I usually run a boresnake through before casing for the range...just to swipe all the critters out.

BTW, I would have chambered a blank, and shot that cleaning brush into the moron's ass who left it there.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:14:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

makes me think of the scene in the movie SWAT, where Samuel L Jackson hands his AR over to Colin Farrel and says something to the effect of.............

'clean it, tune it up, etc.'

Maybe that does happen in PD armories/weapon rooms. But not at my house.

(Wheres that photo of the beautiful girl cleaning her man's AR?)

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:44:35 AM EDT
[#20]

(Wheres that photo of the beautiful girl cleaning her man's AR?)

Ask and ye shall receive...

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:02:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Ask and ye shall receive...

Oh my goodness yes.  :: goosebumps ::
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top