Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 8:22:24 PM EDT
I'm considering buying a different upper but can get it a lot cheaper if I don't get it with a bolt carrier.  Is it safe to use my current bolt carrier in multiple uppers?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#1]
It might get a little more (or unevenly) worn, but I don't really see a problem.

But I'm not an expert, so I'm partly just posting in this thread so I can see what the experts say.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I've heard that bolt carrier is fine but using the bolt in multiple uppers is a no-no. I don't know for sure at all but I think that's what I heard.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#3]
it is safe to use the carrier how ever it is not safe to use the bolt from gun to gun. like DK said though you will have uneven wear on the carrier....i would just order a compleated upper. that way your parts fit and wear to the gun
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#4]
That's what they make head space gauges for.

I have a complete spare bolt and carrier assembly that headspaces out in all of my AR15's.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Where is VAT?

Tag
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#6]
From everything that I have ever read, it is not recommended
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:21:15 AM EDT
[#7]
there 110 complete, buy the spare bolt carrier group. Then get a lower to match that upper.  Personally it takes to much time to push out two pins and switch uppers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:13:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That's what they make head space gauges for.

I have a complete spare bolt and carrier assembly that headspaces out in all of my AR15's.

What he said.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:42:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
there 110 complete, buy the spare bolt carrier group. Then get a lower to match that upper.  Personally it takes to much time to push out two pins and switch uppers.

YES.  Do this.  
It dpends on what you want though.  

I want a carbine upper, but I also want a 6-pos. stock.  It'd take too much time to switch stocks and uppers everytime I want to shoot the carbine.  Plus, you can buy the lower a little at a time, to spread out the cost.  What like $110 for a stripped lower, and then your LPK, then a stock.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]
bolt carriers are fine

bolts should stay with the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:55:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
bolt carriers are fine

bolts should stay with the barrel.

I agree with this.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top