Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 1:08:00 AM EDT
Hello all,

I have two children between the ages of 8-13 years and would like to know if any of you have given your kids the experience of  firing your AR and AK and if so, which did they prefer to shoot?

Thanks,

Speedfish
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:11:56 AM EDT
[#1]
My kids preferred my ARs with M4 stock to my Sar1.   I had them shooting tannerite and they could make more hits with the AR than the AK.    
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:57:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Either will work well, provided ya dont lead em much.

Oh come on, you know a few of you twisted minds were thinkin the same thing when you saw this thread.  

Seriously though, my son and daughter have been shooting my SP1 for a few years now with no problems.  I have a Colt 22LR. conversion, so I started them on that, but they shoot 5.56mm with no problems.  
I am 5'8", my wife is 5'0", so neither of my kids are big, but they have no problems with the AR, and my son likes my M4.  

The AK was a bit much for them, they shot it, but preffered the AR.  My guess though, by the time they are 14, it wont make a difference to either, as long as they get to shoot.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:01:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd start them with the AR.  A collapsable stock will help them for adjustments and the .223 doesn't really kick at all.

Great for kids.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:21:28 AM EDT
[#4]
My son never was never interested in shooting my AK74 or SAR1 his love was with the AR. That’s why he now has his own!

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:54:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hello all,

I have two children between the ages of 8-13 years and would like to know if any of you have given your kids the experience of  firing your AR and AK and if so, which did they prefer to shoot?

Thanks,

Speedfish

I got a Polytech AKS-223 back when I was about 12. Dad bought it for me. It kicks quite a bit, but it was ok. Now after shooting the AR I would have been much more comfortable shooting that.

I dont think a younger child would be comfortable with the AK. I would think the AR would be your best bet with a telescopic stock.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:10:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd go with an M4-like AR with smaller kids.  I still find the recoil from my AK unpleasant at times, while the AR's recoil is much easier to manage.  Also, with a 6-position stock, you can fit the rifle to the young person better and keep it fitting them as they grow.

On top of that, you can put a .22 adapter in an AR for the smallest kids and they can still join the fun; that's not something you can do with an AK.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:00:27 AM EDT
[#7]
9mm AR or one with .22 kit.   Great starter.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:04:13 AM EDT
[#8]
ar
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:09:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Bushmaster "M4gery"
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top