Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 8:48:29 AM EDT
When I first started this AR fun, there was only Colt, DPMS, Armalite and Bushmaster, now theres a whole bunch more to choose from.  I have read alot about how Bushy is not as good as the others now.  Who makes the best Barrels, Uppers and Lower?  I'm planning on building up some new toys and wanted to with the best.  One or more are also going to be mid length, I'm also going to build up one of these if thier any good for a standard setup.  www.angusarms.com  
Thanks for the input,
Mike
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#1]
As far as the receivers, go, Bushy is as good or better than any out there.

Aramlite lowers can't be bought stripped - they only come with complete rifles.

Colt are overpriced for what you get.

DPMS are teflon coated and look pretty.

Stag (CMT), who makes receivers for just about everybody, is the best value out there.  You just have to get over the ugly deer head roll mark.  CMT upper receivers are top of the line also.  There's no reason to pay a premium for anything else.

Stick with forged aluminum receivers from reputable sources and you'll be OK.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Stag lower, CMT upper.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Stag lower, CMT upper.

+1

And I think the deer head is cool.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#4]
MGI currently has the most flexible uppers and lowers that I am aware of. They are CMT quality also.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#5]
CMT upper
CMT/Dennys Guns lower, once they are back from the anodizers
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#6]
cmt upper

bushmaster lowers
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#7]
there are more good ones than bad ones

cant go wrong w/ any of the good ones

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#8]
LMT
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Stag lowers
Uppers....for midlength I like my Sabre but I'm really excited about the BCM uppers.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Is Mega still around?...I remember a while back that seemed to be the lower everyone was using.

I personally have a RRA and love it, great quality.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, Mega is still making some damn good lowers, and uppers too. And believe it or not, Olympic has improved greatly.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#12]
LMT (Lewis Machine abd Tool) Uppers

Bushmaster Lowers

Tack
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Mega and Stag IMO are best for the money. Hell the best period. Dont spend any more.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:21:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I have some LMT stuff and they are fine mechanically but their fit and finish is not as good as the CMT stuff I have seen. It all depends on what you want.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:44:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a Stag upper and lower.  I bought them seperately, the same day, from the same dealer.  
You cannot tell the difference in finish, even though I know the lower was made sometime before the upper.  

Fit between the two is beautiful, very tight, and the overall feel of the gun is superb.  I want two more AR's, an A2 clone and an SPR clone, and both will be built with CMT/STAG components.  If money were no object, the A2 clone would be all Colt, but only for the rollmark, and not because I think it will be a better gun.  

FWIW, as long as the rifle is reliable, and accurate, rollmarks dont mean squat!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:44:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm almost embarresed to ask this who is CMT?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:08:33 AM EDT
[#17]
CMT: Continental Machine and Tool.

They also market/sell products under the Stag Arms name, and, as I understand it, produce products for several other mfgs...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:50:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

They also market/sell products under the Stag Arms name, and, as I understand it, produce products for several other mfgs...

Are their CMT rollmarked lowers?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are their CMT rollmarked lowers?

Not anymore. There are some out there but not many. CMT markets their own lowers under the Stag Arms name/logo. They also make lowers for Noveske and GTS Dennys Guns.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top