Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 2:24:52 PM EDT
does a mid-length barrel (handgaurds) have a 20" barrel gas tube? seems like i read that somewhere. and the full length tubes were suppose to be more reliable than say a m4 system? maybe i'm thinking of something else (dissipator). i have a 14.5" bushmaster now and was thinking of getting a rra or stag mid-length. any pro's to this?

Thanks Tim
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#1]
No, it's in between the rifle and carbine length gas tube, hence the name .

They are cool, and have a slightly softer recoil pulse than a carbine gas system and longer sight radius too.   People argue about the reliability, but no one can prove anything,   Get one if you want one - therei s a huge thread of pics somewhere...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you're thinking of the dissipator.  It has a full (not carbine or mid length) gas system on a 16" barrel.

-K
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think you're thinking of the dissipator.  It has a full (not carbine or mid length) gas system on a 16" barrel.

-K

Actually, the Dissipator is a carbine length gas system.

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/abbl-16dm4a.asp
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-K

No kidding.....   Were they always like that?

-K
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-K

No kidding.....   Were they always like that?

-K

+1

i thought that the dissy was origionally a rifle lenght system on a carbine lenght bbl....

anyways, i like the midlength--full look, carbine bbl, longer sight radius--looks great and if it really does have wear out the parts less, well so much the better
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#6]
They are cooler:

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They are cooler:

www.hunt101.com/img/359519.JPG

+1

WIZZO
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#8]
There aren't a whole lot of specific reasons not to get a middy over a carbine gas system;

- you don't like how it looks
- the rail system you want isn't made in that length
- your favorite brand doesn't offer them

That's about all I can come up with.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top